Chapter 21 - Distractions (Minecon Days 8 - 13)

AN: I reeeaaaalllyyy want to change the title and cover of the book. Any suggestions?

~~~~~

I might be okay, but I'm not fine at all.

- Taylor Swift, All Too Well (Red)

~~~~~

The week of the convention had been the longest week of my life. I stayed up late nearly every night, so I barely got any sleep. I threw myself into my work, like how I did after Thomas. Alex and I never talked, even though I attempted casual conversation with him a few times. We'd see each other a lot, though, which was really hard for me. Thankfully, nobody else got too involved, they mostly just left me alone. Probably because they were all too busy with the convention themselves. The only people who really noticed my mood were Ross and Hannah. They called me a few times in the early morning, while I was locked in my room, but I ignored them.

I just felt so out of it. I was so broken, nothing felt like it really mattered anymore. I hoped that this would pass, that this was just a stage of my depression, but it wasn't. It didn't get better. No matter what I did my mind wandered back to thoughts of Alex. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to try something else. I needed to be away, really away, not just by a few hours. I wanted to go home. On Saturday, the last day of the convention, I decided to go back to Bristol early. Surprisingly, Ross agreed and let me go. I exchanged my plane ticket for an earlier flight that departed that night, then packed.

I stood at the door of my hotel room, with all my things piled next to me. I was waiting for Ross to come out of the bathroom so he could help me carry my stuff. It was more than usual this time, since I couldn't send my instruments ahead of me. Alex was sprawled out on the bed, doing who knows what on his laptop. F***, what the hell was taking Ross so long? This silence was getting really awkward. Chris, thankfully, got up, saying he'd help me instead of Ross.

"Hey, thanks for saving me back there." I said while we loaded my keyboard into the back of the car.

"No problem." He paused. "You sure you're gonna be ok?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not a child, Chris. I can take care of myself."

"Well, you sure look like one." He laughed.

I playfully shoved him in the arm. "Shut up!"

"You know it's true." He laughed again. "So what are you gonna do when you get back?"

"Help the editors, probably. Tom's been bombarding me with emails for the past week."

Suddenly, Ross came running out of the hotel, towards us, carrying my cello.

"You know it'd have been way easier if you carried that on your back, right?"
I said as he approached us.

"Yeah, well, " He shrugged, panting. "Eh."

I laughed. "What took you so long in the bathroom, anyway?"

"Ugh, you don't want to know."

"Ew, it must have been that burrito you had for lunch."

Ross shrugged. "Still, " he paused to take a breath. "No regrets."

I rolled my eyes. All of the guys, including the Yogscast, had an eating contest to see who could finish their burrito the fastest. Alex won by a hair.

"When's your flight again?" Chris asked.

"Uh," I checked my phone. "It leaves in about 2 hours."