Chapter 24 - Back to Normal (Kind of...)

Song: The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson

~~~~~

I woke up to the sound of my phone vibrating. I groaned and rolled over to face the nightstand. 5:05 am. Who could be calling me at this time? I turned back around and buried myself in the covers, hoping that they'd just give up and stop calling. No luck. My phone kept ringing for the next ten minutes, so I gave up and looked at the ID.

Hannah.

Groaning, I answered. "Hannah, why are you calling me at 5 in the morning?" I mumbled.

"Hey, don't be so grumpy." Something banged in the background. "S***"

"What happened?"

"Dropped the cooking pan."

"Why are you cooking at 5 in the morning?"

"Lewis is sick."

"Sick how?"

"Just a fever." Another bang. "F***. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that he probably won't be able to come to the office today."

"So?"

"So, " She paused to lower her voice. "He won't know if you don't come in today."

"Are you sure you don't need any help over there? It seems like it's not-" Another bang. Hannah cursed again. "Going so well."

"No, no, no! I've got it all handled." I heard the stove turn on. "Don't you want to spend time with Alex?"

I sat up quickly. "What? How-"

"Bye!" She hung up.

I sat there, confused, for a few minutes. How did she find out?

Huh. Maybe I'd ask Alex about it today. I groaned. There was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep now. What should I do? I checked my phone. Ross was logged onto Facebook. Maybe he was up. Should I text him? I looked out the window. It was really dark, but some street lights lit up the sidewalk. I could probably make it to the Hat House alive. Besides, walking in the dark might make me sleepier, then I could crash at their place. Just to be safe, I put some pepper spray in my bag before I headed out.

~~~

I stood on the doorstep of the house and peered through the window. Ross's bedroom light was on, which meant he must be awake. I let myself in and took my shoes off. I rushed into the living room/office to find all three of them sitting at the table, working. I yawned, grabbed a blanket, then sat down in the spare chair next to Ross.

"Why are you here?" Ross asked, startled.

I yawned again, then spun around in my chair.

"Why are you in your pajamas?" Chris asked.

"In case I fall asleep." I wrapped myself in the blanket.

"You walked the streets alone?" Alex looked at me.

I took the pepper spray out of my bag and waved it at him.

"I dare you to spray Trott with that." Ross smirked.

"Hey!" Chris yelled, then grabbed the spray out of my hand.

"Don't worry, I wouldn't do that." I yawned. "I'm a nice person."

"You sure about that?" Alex snickered.

I threw a pen at him and laughed. "A**."

"You can't just sit there and do nothing." Ross grumbled.