Chapter 27 - The Story of My Family (Part 2)

Song: Soul's Lament by Philip Wesley

~~~~~

*Flashback*

I walked out of the school auditorium, carrying my violin and stand. I had stayed late after school to help a cello with a piece, he needed to hear the melody. "Bye." I nodded in his direction, and he waved in return. I walked across the street and down an alley alone.

Everyone tried to act normal after my dad died. We tried to keep it together, and it worked for a while. However, eventually, my mother just fell apart. It was probably because she stumbled upon a picture of their wedding while she was cleaning. We found her one day in her bedroom, passed out from screaming and crying. We got her up again and gave her an Advil, but she didn't get any better. She still stayed depressed. Mike got scared and went to a therapist, but he didn't help either. He only diagnosed her with having severe clinical depression. I disagreed; she was my mother, she was strong and she could get back on track if everyone believed in her. But I was the youngest, nobody listened to me. Instead, she was sent to a mental hospital to "recuperate". The majority of my dad's life insurance went towards that; there was barely any left for the four of us. We were able to get a small 2 bedroom apartment with a central kitchen/living room. It was enough, but it still felt small. I wasn't about to complain, though, not with everything going on.

I unlocked the door and walked in. I threw the keys on the counter and walked to the room Ross and I shared. On my way there, I peeked into John and Mike's room. John was studying and Mike was leaning out the window, smoking as always.

As I explained earlier, most of my dad's life insurance money went towards my mom. The rest went towards buying this place, but we still needed more for food and stuff. John was studying hard and working an internship, and Mike was working two part-times. He said he was going to college once we all got nice, stable jobs. He used his stress as an excuse to get into drugs, yet it only added to our expenses. I was only 14, so the best I could do was play at a local café and earn a few dollars an hour. Ross got a job at an electronics store nearby.

John and I exchanged glances when I passed. We both sighed, then I moved on. "Hey, Ross." I greeted when I walked in our room. I threw my violin and stand in the corner along with my cello and keyboard. "You finish your homework yet?" I asked.

"Don't have any." He replied.

"Seriously? I have a ton." I pouted.

"Haha, sucker." He stuck his tongue out at me and I threw a pillow at him.

"Whatever. You know where I'll be." I grabbed my backpack and jumped out the window onto the fire escape. Sitting on the stairs, I started my grueling English essay.

~~~

"Elizabeth!" John yelled from inside. Oops. Looks like I fell asleep out here again. "Elizabeth Maryann Grace Evangeline Hornby! Get in here RIGHT NOW!" He continued to scream.

"Ok, ok, I'm coming!" I scrambled off the stairs and jumped into the building.

"Come on, get your shoes on." Ross said from the door of our room.