Entry 67

November 23

I tried to catch Henry's eye today, so I could maybe ask him how I could get good enough to be in his group.

Vinni was in a good mood after our triumph last night, so he hung out with Henry and his group without a fuss, and even laughed a couple of times. At lunch, when the group was particularly caught up in something he was saying, Henry shot a glance my way. I was ready, and caught it, raising both my eyebrows and glancing at the door, then back at him. He narrowed his eyes at me, then nodded almost imperceptibly. Then he gave a tiny jerk of his head at the door, and I understood that as that I should go first.

I finished my lunch quickly, then left and made my way to the unfinished classrooms. I couldn't help but want something to happen. It seemed like everything was going so well. Liota was finally getting to go to school, Vinni was finally warming up to Henry and his group, and Henry didn't hate me, and might finally let me join his group too!

Henry arrived just a few minutes later. He closed the door firmly behind him and looked over at me with an expression I couldn't interpret.

"You aren't going to start making demands now, are you?" He asked, crossing his arms. I shook my head.

"No!" I swallowed. "I, um... I do... have a request." I looked down when he shot a sharp glance at me. "How... um... I wanna know... what do you want me to do?" I peeked up at him from under my too-long bangs. Henry looked surprised for a second, then his mouth curved into a smirk.

"I knew you'd come around." He relaxed his stance and approached me. I felt myself instinctively moving back, though I managed to stop myself before I reached the wall. "You wanna be part'a my gang, you gotta toughen up." He poked a finger in my chest, making me flinch. He grinned. "Though you're cute scared, it'd make me look weak with you flinchin' all the time."

"You think I'm cute?" I squeaked, face heating up.

"Sure." He looked at me through half-open eyes. "I got strange taste, y'know." He ran a hand through my bangs, pushing them off to one side. His eyes roved over my face, as though he were examining it. "You won't find anyone else who does."

Suddenly overwhelmed with some strange feeling from deep inside me, I covered Henry's hand with my own and said, "Henry, I'll do anything. Please." He removed his hand from under mine and stepped back, crossing his arms thoughtfully.

"Hmm... dunno about everything you'll hafta do, but for now..." He grinned. "Kiss me."

My skin felt like it was on fire. "U-um, I don't... I've never..." I fell back against the wall, torn between my embarrassment and the strong desire to do exactly what he asked.

"Here, I'll make it easy for you." Henry stepped forward until he had me caged between his arms like the last time. "All you hafta do is lean forward."

"Okay." I closed my eyes and swallowed, then slowly leaned forward. I pressed my lips against his. It was longer than the first time, but still not as long as the kisses I saw in movies. I wasn't sure what exactly I was supposed to do, but I figure since I'm only eleven, I shouldn't worry about that too much.

I opened my eyes before pulling away. Henry opened his only a couple seconds later, but I can't forget the expression he had on his face right afterwards. It was like I was seeing him for the first time. He looked vulnerable and completely entranced, lips slightly parted and eyes closed, not sure it was over. I felt a strange rush of satisfaction at that; in that moment I was strangely powerful.

Then he was turning away from me and wiping his lips. The walls were back up, and when he glanced back at me, it was with the cold face of my tormentor.