Entry 56

October 27

Of course, now there's the question of, if I'm really not worthless, why does everyone think I am? I asked Liota the same question and he suggested I detach myself from the issue and look at it from an analytic standpoint.

Sometimes I worry about him.

I'm not sure I really got what he meant, but I tried that today, and I think maybe I have an answer: they don't think.

Kids don't take the time to really get to know someone or give them the benefit of the doubt. They just go along with what they see everybody else doing. Maybe adults are like that too, because I haven't seen the teachers doing anything to help either, even though the kids are kinda obvious sometimes. Maybe they don't realize what they're doing because I never say anything against it.

When I actually look at the faces I see, instead of keeping my head down like usual, I see all kinds of different expressions. Some are malicious, some amused, some disgusted, some had no real expression at all, and a few... a few were sympathetic or scared. And one in particular may have been angry.

That would be Vinni.

When our eyes met, I flashed him a secret smile which seemed to make him confused. We don't usually see each other much in the halls since our lockers are far apart, and since Henry's in most of my classes, Vinni can't really do much to help me without getting me into more danger. But after I sent him that look, he completely held himself back, observing me as I observed my classmates instead.

For the first time in a long while, I actually felt like I had control over something in my life, like I wasn't just at the mercy of everybody else.

For once I can say, today was a good day!