Entry 66

November 22

Liota and I got out of the house just fine today. We brought our backpacks and Liota held onto them at the library. Vinni was fifteen minutes late. Oh well, his punctuality was nice while it lasted.

I didn't really want Vinni to know where I lived, but there was no other way to do this. So I led him down the streets into our neighborhood. He didn't make a comment about the state of the houses, instead striking up a conversation about something he saw on TV last night. I mostly listened.

We finally got to my house. It wasn't in the best upkeep, as my mom didn't pay much attention to that kind of stuff and I was usually too busy with everything else to do any considerable amount of work on it. I'm glad it's winter now, because it means I don't have to worry about mowing or anything.

I unlocked the door and called, "I'm home!" into the house. "And I brought a guest!" I led Vinni into the kitchen. My mom was making coffee. She seemed tired, but it looked like she was still sober. Her eyes widened when she saw Vinni.

"Arawn, you brought a friend?" She obviously couldn't believe it. I felt my cheeks heat up, and my hands twisted in my shirt.

"Yeah, this is Vincent," I mumbled.

Vinni stuck out his hand. "Pleased to meet you." My mom shook it with a weak smile. Turning to me, Vinni asked, "Where's your room?"

I hadn't planned for that. I couldn't believe I hadn't planned for that. What an idiot.

I led Vinni to my room. It wasn't much to look at. It was pretty small, with my bed shoved into one corner, my dresser under the window beside it, a closet on the wall next to that, and a small bookshelf next to the door. Red paint from before my dad left covered the walls, along with a few strategically-placed posters. All in all, my room was pretty boring.

"Didja clean up just fer me?" Vinni asked, glancing around at my perfectly organized room. I stayed in the doorway while he stood in the middle of my room.

"No, it's always like this," I muttered, digging my fingers into the doorframe. He glanced at me. I probably sounded to bitter. I turned my gaze to the floor.

"Why?"

I opened my mouth with a lie on my tongue, but when I looked up at Vinni, I swallowed it back down. Lying was too easy an out. Vinni didn't deserve that. And if there were anyone in this world I could trust, it was him.

"If I know where everything is... I'll know immediately if something's been moved." I glanced up and was surprised to see Vinni nodding.

"'s a good system." He tilted his head to the side, staring at one of my posters. "Though I can't say the same fer yer decoratin'."

"Anyway," I walked over and stood in front of him. "You stay in here and read or something while I talk to my mom, okay? You can listen in, if you want, but don't come out 'less I call you. Promise."

Vinni grinned at me. "Aye aye, Cap'n Arawn!" He saluted me and I waved him off, embarrassed. Then I hastily saluted him back and ran out of the room.

My mom was drinking coffee in the kitchen. As I came over to her, she stared up at me with a suspicious look. Immediately, a bolt of worry shot through me. I shouldn't be asking now. But in my mind, I could see Vinni encouraging me forward.

"Mom," I started. My voice came out a little hoarse, so I cleared my throat. "I have something I need to talk to you about." She eyed me, but on second look, she looked like she might be willing to listen this time. I took a deep breath. "It's about Liota."

"Liota?" She didn't seem to recognize the name. I suppose she wouldn't, since she named him Haydn, and I avoided speaking either name around her.

"He's old enough to be in school now, and he's super smart, s-so he really should be in school now."

"Why are you telling me?" I noticed her eyes narrowing as she put down her coffee.

"B-because you're the only one who c-can enroll him." My voice slipped into a whisper, and then my breath slipped away. Danger glinted from her eyes and I tried to slip my shaking hands into my pockets, tried to regain some kind of confidence, but I couldn't break contact with those dangerous, dangerous eyes. She slowly rose to her feet, keeping her eyes trained on me the whole time.

"You mean the demon, don't you?"

I shook my head furiously. "N-not a demon, a boy! A little boy, and he needs your help!" She laughed at my pleading.

"No, child, you're being deceived. He is the demon of fire, of destruction." She walked toward me, and I backed away with each step.

"M-maybe going to school would help him! Maybe it would keep him from wanting to destroy things!" She laughed again, then in a flash reached out and grabbed my shoulders. I winced as her fingers dug into my shoulders.

"The demon fire cannot help its nature!"

I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down and bent my head.

"Please, please, Mom, we're your children! He's your baby! He's your baby!" I cried out, grasping her hands in mine. I could see confusion in her eyes as she looked at me, as though she couldn't reconcile my conviction with Liota's being a demon. I slowly pried her hands from my shoulders and held them in my own, though my hands were shaking and all I wanted to do was get away from her.

"Please," I whispered, "help your baby."

She nodded, slowly.

"Okay. I'll help my baby."

"Really?" I breathed.

She nodded again.

A watery smile spread over my face, and for the first time in ages, I pulled my mom into a hug. After some hesitation, she hugged me back.

Finally, I broke away and went to share the good news with Vinni. As soon as I entered the room, Vinni's arms went around me.

"Congrats, Arawn, ya did it!"

"Yeah." I laughed. "Yeah, I did."

Vinni and I made plans to get together the next day too, since we only have classes on Monday and Tuesday this week because of Thanksgiving. Then we spent the day out and about, celebrating Liota's new status as a student. Vinni treated me and Liota to ice cream, and we ate it in the park despite the cold. Vinni and I took turns pushing Liota on the swings, and pushing each other, too.

We didn't go home 'til after it was already dark.