Entry 26

June 25

Last night was the first night in four days that we'd seen my mom at home. She was drunk, which it seems like she is a lot lately. But this time she was up and about. She tried to go after Liota, who hid. She asked me where he was, and when I didn't say, she smacked me. There's a bruise on my jaw, and I hurt my ankle at some point.

She finally found Liota this morning and dragged him out from hiding. She broke his wrist, then left for work. I was taking Liota out of the house to walk to the doctor's when Henry arrived with his bat. He saw Liota and me in bad shape and came to help. He came with me to the hospital.

The doctor set Liota's wrist and cast it, which took the whole day. I gave the nurse my mom's name and my address so she could look stuff up. Henry suggested I tell the nurse my dad's name too, to see if maybe one of my other relatives was around. I did, and we found a grampa, Corcon Hiopi, but he lived a few hours away. I was surprised I had a grampa. My mom never said anything. I thought they were all dead. The nurse got me the number, but I didn't call him.

While we were waiting, I asked Henry why he was being so nice when he hated me. He said he didn't know, but he didn't hate me. When Liota was patched up, the three of us left. I decided to memorize our grampa's number.