Entry 75

December 16

Henry was back in school today, but no Vinni. Just seeing him filled me with a hot, angry feeling. The only thing that kept it down was the sight of the dark purple bruise on his left cheek. That was my bruise—the one I'd left on him when I finally told him what I thought of him. I couldn't help the small smile that made its way onto my face when I looked at it. There's never been a mark on him before, but I, Arawn Kendrick, managed to make one!

Of course, that's not the story he told. He didn't tell the other kids how he'd had his boys hold Vinni back while he beat him, and that I'd come to the rescue. He said that he and Vinni got in a fight and that was the only punch Vinni'd managed to land. I had to remind myself that it was because I'd had such a triumph over him that he had to lie about it.

I kept my eyes on Henry the whole day, but we never made eye contact. He looked cool and collected, but I could feel him trying not to look at me.

But even while ignoring me, he still couldn't leave me alone. When he saw that I didn't react violently toward one of the other boys, who opened a locker right into my face, he went right back to his usual tormenting.

That hot feeling burned inside of me, bubbling and boiling like lava in my chest. But I held it in. It wasn't time to explode yet. Talking to Vinni is my first priority.

Part of my mind is screaming at me that he betrayed me by somehow convincing Seren to get rid of Liota, part of it's screaming that he would never do something like that.

I'm sick and tired of this noise.