Chapter 13

Clarke examines the knife and the fingers we laid on the table. She picks up the knife to take a closer look at it and begins to say "It's made out of metal from-" before I stop her, grabbing the knife from her hands.

"Oh my god," I breathe out, causing everyone to stare at me, "This is Murphy's."

"Great," Jasper says, "so there's a murderer in the camp."

"There's more than one murderer in this camp. We need to keep this under the radar." Bellamy argues. Ignoring him, Clarke attempts to move towards the door, but he stops her.

"Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved- the wall, the patrols....Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

"Yes," I agree, "but it's obvious that someone in our camp did it and they need to face justice."

Clarke scoffs. "What do you mean, 'someone'? This is Murphy's knife, it has his initials. You said so yourself."

"That doesn't necessarily mean he did it. If he dropped his knife after killing him, don't you think he would have picked it up?" I turn towards Bellamy and continue, "Don't you remember how easily I got Murphy's knife when he tried attacking me? Look, Clarke, if it makes you feel better, I'll confront him by myself and see what he says."

"The people have the right to know." Clarke argues, storming out of the tent.

I follow her out of the tent just in time to see Clarke shoving Murphy. I quickly run over to the both of them, prepared to step in if need be..

"You son of a bitch!" Clarke yells, tears falling down her face.

Murphy laughs, amused. "Whoa, there. What's your problem?"

"Recognize this?" she holds a blade up in her hands.

He looks surprised to see the knife and says, "Oh, it's my knife. Where'd you find it?"

He reaches for it, but she rips it out of his reach as she snaps, "Where you dropped it after you killed Wells."

At Clarke's accusation, everyone falls silent, even Murphy. After a short pause, he replies, "Where I what? The Grounders killed Wells, not me." The surprise on his face and in his voice is almost believable, and the longer I watch his confrontation with Clarke, the sicker I feel; I think he may be innocent.

"I know what you did." Clarke steps forward with the knife still in her hand, "And you're going to pay for it."

Not able to watch this any longer, I stand up and make my way over to her, grabbing her shoulder. "Clarke...maybe we should talk this over, let him explain." She shakes me off and stares at me, disappointment in her eyes. Her harsh look causes me to back away once again.

Desperate, Murphy turns to Bellamy. "Really? Bellamy, you believe this crap?" Bellamy doesn't answer. I look at him the same way Clarke looked at me; disappointed, finding it hard to believe that he can cast his friend off so easily.

"You threatened to kill him," Clarke counters, "we all heard you. You hate Wells."

Murphy gawks at her. "Plenty of people hated Wells. His father is the Chancellor that locked us all up."

"Yeah," Clarke agrees, "but you're the only one that got in a knife fight with him."

"Yeah," he says, "I didn't kill him then, either."