Chapter 23

"Ree, run!"  Jasper scream and leaps out, firing.

Spears and arrows fly, and the Grounder leader draws a knife. Bellamy fire at her, and a bullet catches her arm. She whirls around towards her horse. Grounders fall from the trees, shot to pieces.

"Clarke, get down!" Finn yells and Clarke scrabbles backwards as an arrow hits the ground in front of her.

"Finn, get back!" She screams as Finn picks her up.

I took my knife, but I knew that it was no use. so I flee into the woods, pulling Bellamy after me.

"Run! Don't stop till you get behind your walls. Go! Take her!" I hear the Grounder with Octavia yell.

"Lincoln! No!" Octavia screams.

"Go!"

We sprint through the woods. Bellamy waits for me, pushing me ahead of him, holding his gun in both hands.

We don't stop running until we get back to camp, after the sun has set.

Finn's giving us all a pissed-off look. "You got anything to say?" Bellamy finally snaps.

"Yeah. I told you no guns!" Finn explodes.

"I told you we couldn't trust the Grounders. I was right." Clarke says, breathing heavily.

"Why didn't you tell me what you were up to?" Raven asks Finn.

"I tried, but you were too busy making bullets for your gun!"

"You're lucky she brought that! They came there to kill you, Finn." Bellamy tells him.

"You don't know that! Jasper fired the first shot!" Finn says.

"You ruined everything." Octavia says to Jasper, who looks like he just got hit over the head with a frying pan. She stalks off towards camp.

"I saved you!" Jasper shouts after her. "You're welcome."

"Finn, they had Grounders in the trees, aiming for mine and Clarke's  heart! What did you want us to do?" I ask.

Finn seethes at me. "Well, if we weren't at war already, we sure as hell are now." He looks at Clarke. "You didn't have to trust the Grounders. You just had to trust me."

Him and Raven go into camp, and I sigh.

"Like I said, best Unity Day ever." Bellamy says. Clarke sighs and we hear a boom across the sky. I look up to see a spot, too big to be a comet, coming towards Earth.

"Is that the Exodus ship?" I ask Clarke.

"Your mom's early." Bellamy says, and Clarke grins. I don't. Something's very wrong. They enter the atmosphere and still show no sign of slowing.

"Clarke, they aren't slowing down. They're not slowing down!" I say, looking at the ship as it hurtles towards the earth. I keep expecting the parachute to pop, but it never does.

With a ground-shaking thud, the Exodus ship hits the earth, exploding, making a mushroom cloud in the sky.

Clarke lets out a gasp of pain, falling to her knees. My entire world is spinning. Dad..! I look at Bellamy, shaking my head desperately.

"No, no, no, no, no, no." I stammer, and he grabs my shoulders. I fall into his chest, my hands into fists, as my heart threatens to stop working.

"This can't be happening." I say hoarsely, tears running down my cheeks. "This can't be happening."

Bellamy just keeps me standing as my legs tremble and the cloud of smoke spreads across the sky.

Hey, I'm back. Sorry that it took so long. I hope you like it  ❤