Chapter 19

I make my way up to the third floor, closing the latch behind me.

"Get out of here." Bellamy growls.

I glare at him. "Make me." He sighs angrily, and I continue, this time more calmly. "Look, Bell. This Grounder didn't hurt Octavia. He even saved our asses from the acid fog when we were out searching her?"

"How do you know?" Bellamy asks quizzically.

"Because Finn found the foghorn in this Grounder's belt."

"That's a bit of a stretch." he argues.

I laugh, "Then who the hell else blew the horn?"

"It could have been another Grounder, and it was just a false alarm."

I exhale, attempting to cool myself down enough so I can stop myself from punching him in the face, again, due to his stubbornness.

"Whoa!" a boy says as the Grounder surges to life, "He's awake!"

"Tie him tighter." Bellamy orders, "The last thing we need is this bastard getting free because you screwed up."

Octavia comes up the ladder, and one of the boys tells her to "get out of here."

Ignoring him, she stomps over to Bellamy. "I told you he was protecting me. You didn't have to do this."

"This isn't about you," Bellamy protests, "this is about all of us."

"You did that for all of us?" Octavia asks, pointing to the Grounder's bruised and beaten face.

"I did that for Finn and Jasper and John and Diggs and Roma."

"It wasn't even him!"

"You don't know that!" Bellamy yells.

No longer being able to stand on the sidelines, I add, "Neither do you, Bellamy! What proof do you have that he's guilty?"

"What proof do you have that he's innocent?" Bellamy asks, before adding, "Look, we need to know what we're up against. How many of them there are and why they're killing us; and, he's going to tell us right now."

"No, Bellamy, please!" Octavia begs.

"Miller, get her out of here." Bellamy says dismissively, gesturing towards his sister.

Miller grabs Octavia's arms and starts pulling her towards the hatch. "No, I was there! Hey, get off of me!"

"Let her go!" I yell, pulling Miller away from her. She backs up towards the wall.

"I don't even think he speaks English," Octavia says, "he won't understand you."

"Oh, I think he will." Bellamy retorts, moving dangerously close to him.

"It's ok, Octavia. I'll do what I can." I assure her, and she disappears through the hatch door.

Bellamy finally addresses the Grounder. "What's your name?" No response. "How many of you are there?" Nothing.

Suddenly, there's a loud bang from downstairs and the dropship sways.

"What the hell was that? Are we under attack or not?" Bellamy asks. A boy climbs down the ladder to check.