Chapter 42

I'm tied up watching some poor boy from the Ark getting drilled for marrow, whimpering in pain. Blood runs down my head from where they hit me when I fought back. Raven and Wick aren't in much better condition.

I can't believe I'm back here.

The door opens and the guards enter with a row of blindfolded prisoners. Another door opens and Cage comes in. My blood turns to ice at the sight of him.

"We take any losses?" He asks the lead guard.

"Not as many as they did, Sir. I'm afraid I'm the only one left who's been cured. Some of the kids are still missing. If you'd like, I'll take a team in hazmats and sweep the other levels."

"No. No more wasted lives. In 48 hours, we will all be on the ground. Take off their hoods." Cage says, and the guards take off the hoods of the prisoners. Harper appears, followed by Captain Miller.

"Dad?" Nathan, tied beside me, leans against his ropes.

"Nate!" Miller surges for his son, and a guard slams his gun into his head.

"No! You bastards!" Nathan shouts.

The next person appears, and I gasp.

"What is wrong with you people?" Kane breathes out, and the next hood comes off.

"Dad! Abby!" I shout, and their heads turn.

"Ree" Kane says.

"Where's my daughter?" Abby asks Cage as he passes her.

"She's talking about Clarke." The guard tells Cage.

Cage leans down towards Abby, and I tug towards her frantically, every muscle threatening to tear.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this." He says.

The boy on the table stops screaming and the doctors finally stop. "He's dead."

"That's okay. We've already got all of the marrow. Guards, we need another one."

One of the guards walks down the line and points at Raven. "She's next."

"No, no, no! Raven!" I scream, pushing against the wall with every ounce of strength I have.

"No. No. Take me. Don't touch her! Don't touch her! Get off. Don't touch her! Don't touch her!" Wick screams as Raven strains against their grips. One of the guards electrocutes him, another Raven, and they both fall limp. I stop screaming.

"Please. No!" Raven screams as they pin her to the table and tie her down. Suddenly, in a blur, she rises and bites into the neck of one of the doctors.

"Hold her! Hold her down!" Another shouts.

"No! Get off me!" She screams, fighting back, and for a moment I think she's free. Then a guard electrocutes her again, and she falls limp. The doctors strap her in, one grabs the drill, and the air fills with Raven's screams.

Raven's fallen unconscious and I can barely stand to open my eyes. All I can hear are the whimpers and the sobbing of the people around me.

The door opens and Cage walks in.

"Take that one off the table." He says, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Sir, we're not done."