Chapter 29

I refuse to leave Raven's side. She's barely hanging on. Finn's here too, but Bellamy's still locked up. I'm not allowed to go see him, though I've tried.

Sometime during the day, I hear gunshots outside, but I've heard too many gunshots for it to faze me anymore. I won't let Raven die.

"Ree?" She asks me during one of her brief periods of consciousness.

"Yeah, Raven?"

"Our people. How many made it?"

I look at Finn before meeting Raven's eyes. "We don't know where the others are. The only people in this camp are Murphy, Bellamy, me, you, Finn, Monroe, and Sterling."

Raven sighs. "Why aren't you out looking?"

"I'm not allowed. Kane's taken control over everything."

Abby comes back in, sweeping aside the plastic covering the entrance.

"How are you feeling?" She asks Raven.

"Awesome." I say sarcastically

"Ree.. please.." Finns sad face makes me regret my answer a little.

"I know that face. Just spit it out, Abby." Raven says as Abby walks closer.

"The bullet is still shifting. That's why you're in pain. I was hoping that it would stabilize by now." Abby says.

"So how about you take it out?"

"Raven, we need to talk about that. The bullet is pressing on your spine. If we leave it in, you'll live, but you'll never walk again."

"Then take it out!"

"The surgery could kill you." Abby says. "We have no equipment, we have no anesthesia."

"Will I walk again?" Raven asks desperately.

"Maybe, but you'd be awake the whole time. You'd feel everything."

"Sign me up." Raven says resolutely.

"Wait." Finn says. "Raven, you could die."

"This is Raven's choice." I say to him.

Raven meets Finn's eyes. "In Zero G I didn't need my legs. Down here, I do." She looks straight at Abby. "Take it out."

Abby looks at me, and she sees my fear in my eyes. She knows how much I care. I can't lose Raven, not on top of everyone else.

"Ree, can you wait outside?" Abby asks me, and I nod tensely. I put a hand on Raven's shoulder to find her trembling.

I walk outside and sit down on the floor, knowing just feet behind me, Raven could be dying and there's nothing I can do. I try to block out the noises behind me, the sound of Abby talking. Then, out of nowhere, the screaming starts.

I'm so numb, I can't even plug my ears. I just listen to Raven screams..

Finally, it stops, and I stand up on shaky legs, before walking into the makeshift operation room.

Raven looks like she's unconscious. Abby tapes a bandage with blood-soaked hands to her back. Finn looks white as a sheet.

"Did she make it?" I ask.

"Yes, somehow." Abby says, and I collapse next to Finn. Within minutes, sleep takes him, but I can't. Raven's shrieks ring in my ears even as I close my eyes.