Chapter 10

This took sooooo long to put up, I'm so sorry it did!  It's because I had a bunch of different appointments so I missed some school and had to make it up. 

And then when I finally got around to trying to update and was about to publish Wattpad totally crashed on me.  I thought I lost everything, but thankfully everything seems to be back in order now.  Did this happen to any of you? 

Thank you all so much for reading this far.  Hope you love this chapter!

~Ashlee💕

〰〰〰

"Hitomi?"

"Yeah?" I answer, staring at the worn carpet.

"So you are still awake."

"That I am." I say back. My comment is meant to be sarcastic, but my exhaustion dulls it.

Silence.

"Bad dreams?"

I smirk in response. The only nightmares I have are my thoughts, I haven't dreamed since I was a kid. "You could say that."

"What are they about?"

For some reason his nosiness doesn't annoy me like it usually does. A dark humored feeling envelops me, one I can't make sense of. I blame how late it is.

"They're about two little girls." I stifle a yawn.

"What's so bad about that?" Kaien asks, genuinely curious.

All humor, even the dark kind leaves me, replaced by a numb sort of emptiness. It's an emptiness that I've been aquatinted to numerous times before.

Twisted and malicious scenes play behind my eyes, my voice comes out uncaring. Apathetic. "One of them die."

Without looking at the blond I can see his surprise. "Really?"

I manipulate my breathing to become heavy, simulating sleep. However, I know that sleep is not an option for me tonight. It's been too terrible of a day for me to possibly find rest.

"....Hitomi?" Cautious, careful.

I keep quiet.

"I know that you're still awake."

Good for you, Kaien.

I end up pretending to sleep for the whole night.

〰〰〰

"Let's go." When I find it appropriate to "wake up" I leap from my position on the love seat.

Kaien looks up at me with tired brown eyes. "We can't leave."

I lift a brow.

In response he lifts a hand and points out the window. The sky is a torrent of darkness, the rain smacking against the window maliciously and without cease.

"Seems fine to me."

Kaien laughs, causing me to roll my eyes. I don't understand what he finds so comical.

"Get up, come on."

He looks at me incredulously. "You're serious?"

I scowl at him. "When am I not serious?"

The hunter immediately sobers. "We can't leave, there's no way."