Part Four

A/N: Really, really important author's note at the end of this part. Please, please read it!! 

Three years ago...

Tris knocks on Christina's apartment door three times, and wipes her tears.

Three seconds, stop crying.

Two seconds, you are better than this.

One second, he isn't worth your tears.

"Tris? What are you doing? It is like one in the morning." Asks a half-asleep Christina.

"Hey Chris," she sniffs, "do you still need a roommate?" After Tris moved in with Tobias almost a year and a half ago, Christina decided she was lonely and wanted to share her apartment with somebody. Although Christina and Will are a couple, their relationship isn't too serious, so she didn't ask him.

"Oh my, what happened? Come in, come in." She wraps her arms around her best friend and Tris sobs.

"I-I, I broke up with Four." She sobs.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry. What did he do?" Christina gently rubs Tris' back.

When Tris is finally calm enough to speak somewhat clearly she manages to say,"there was another girl in our apartment. He cheated on me."

"He what?! I am going to kill that bastard. I promise you I will, maybe a slow and painful death, how do you think about that?I can--"

"Chris! I'm fine, you don't have to do any of those things. I'm fine," She repeats again. "I'm fine."

"Obviously, you are not fine. You just broke up with your boyfriend- no fiancé, you are obviously not fine. If anything, you are not fine Tris! Gosh, when I get my hands on that little bitch, I am going to march up to him and cut his balls off, I swear on my grandma's grave."

Tris lets put a strangled laugh, "thanks for cheering me up. By any chance do you have ice cream?"

"Mint chocolate chip?"

"You know me so well."

"Of course I have it, now come on, we are going to watch a sappy chick flick while drowning ourselves in food." Christina declares.

"You're the best, Chris."

"I know."

Present Day...

"Oh." He sees the ring on her fingers. "You're married." Those were the first words that she heard from him the whole day.

"Huh? What? Oh, the rings? Yeah, I'm married. Wait, no. Wait, well it's complicated, well sort of."

He raises an eyebrow. Complicated? How the hell is marriage complicated? One part of him is screaming. The fuck? She's married?! How the hell did I not know about this? How long have she and a guy been married? In other words, he's jealous. So freaking jealous and pissed at the same time.

"He's dead."

Oh.

"He served in the military for almost a year. He claimed he wanted to do good for our country before he died. He only had like three weeks left before he could be home free. He was on his last mission to capture some terrorist. Apparently their troop stepped over a bomb. No survivor. None." I will not cry, she tells herself. "He did do good for our country, just didn't make it, you know?" She doesn't know why she's telling him this, maybe it's because after five years of dating him, it was accustomed for her to tell him everything. Force of habit.

"You still wear the rings?"

"Of course." She snaps.

"Sorry, I didn't--"