Chapter 6

QUICK AUTHUR'S NOTE: THIS CHAPTER IS A LITTLE LONG AND EMOTIONAL SO BRACE YOURSELF. YOU'RE ABOUT TO TAKE IN A LOT :)
---------------------------------------------------
"This it?" Marshall asked, staring out to the white house I call home.

"Yep, that's mine," I answered.

He nodded his head and got out of the car to come and open the door for me. I smoothed down my shirt and tucked hair behind my ear. Kindly, Marshall opened the door, as I slipped out of the black Cadi.

"Thanks, friend!"

He rolled his eyes and huffed very quietly under his breath, but he quickly changed his expression. That had caughten my attention

"Anytime-"

He had a very short pause, before he said back in a mellow tone,"-friend."

Marshall winked at me in a joking way. I smirked to myself and giggled quietly, but I was still slightly curious. There was a sudden silence that settled upon us once again. It was as if neither of us knew whether to say goodbye or keep talking.

I turned over to face my driveway to find that Darron, as expected, was not home yet. Since it was only 5 P.M., he was not suspected to be home until later that night; his usual time.

"Hey, you wanna come inside? Just hang out for a bit?" I asked.

He looked over at me, a tiny closed-mouth smile on his face.

"Would your boyfriend be okay with it?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "He's not home. And anyway, he wouldn't mind."

I lied. Darron would be outraged if he saw Marshall. If he found out, the house and I would look like we were struck by an angered tornado.

"Then I'd be happy to," he said.

I dont know why, but I began to smile. It was weird; I kind of liked it. Together, we started to the front door of my house. The walk was silent, and he stood next to me as I opened the door.

"Come on in," I smiled, opening the door for him.

He stepped in through the door. As he took in the unfamiliar surroundings, I grabbed the mail and walked in, closing the door behind me.

"Nice place," he enthused, his hands wrist deep in his short's pockets.

"Says the guy with a $500,000 mansion," I chuckled.

"It's $850,000 thank you very much," he rebuddled.

I joined in on the small laugh before I heard the door open. I jumped and turned to see Jane walk in through the door, with her soccerball in her hand.

"Hi mom, Hi-" she started, but stopped as soon as her eyes found Marshall.

"Marshall?" she gawked, seeming excited to see him.

She dropped her equipment and ran over to us.

"Hey, Jane. How've you been?" he asked, leaning against the wall.

"I've been good. What are you doing here?" she asked quickly.

"I'm just visiting."

"Oh," muttered Jane basically to herself.

I could see it in her shimmering eyes that she really wanted Marshall back in the picture, but I couldn't repaint Marshall in the portrait, because then I'd need to erase Darron. The problem wasn't that I didn't want to, it was the fact that he was planning on sticking around in this picture for a while and continue to ruin every fine line on this 'work of art' I call my life.