Chapter 20

I couldn't tell what I was feelin. What was I supposed to be feeling after the death of my father whom I barely knew?

To describe how I felt, I felt like burying my face in a pillow and crying. Then again, I felt like kicking a hole in the drywall, multiple actually. I wanted to go lay flowers by his tombstone, but I felt like just stomping all over his grave for everything he ever said and did.

All of the night before and the day after I was just in bed, burried underneath the blanket. I was reacting almost the same way as I did when Jane went missing. I was barely eating, not even drinking any water.

Marshall had been doing everything he could to make me feel better and get me to eat something. I didn't push him away, but man, was I being difficult.

It was mid day, and I was still in bed, staring up at the blank ceiling. Marshall was next to me, watching t.v. I began suddenly thinking about the funeral. It was in two days. Even though his last words weren't the kindest towards Marshall, he still wanted to go and pay his respects with me.

Marshall began sitting up in bed, stretching his arms out in front of him. I glanced over at Marshall quickly. He looked back and said,"I'll be right back. You need anything?"

I nodded my head. I heard him sigh quietly.

"Come on, Daya. You haven't eaten anything since yesterday, at least have a glass of water."

The concern in his voice was all that convinced me to agree. I pursed my lips together, and took a deep breath.

"Alright, Marshall. I'll go get a glass of water in a minute," I told him, looking up at his tired eyes.

"Thank you."

Before standing up, he patted my leg softly. He then got up and slowly strutted out of the room. I was left there trying to find my motivation to get out if bed. At times like these I wondered if it was really worth it to stand up and do what I had to do. But I knew I had to get up and do as I promised Marshall. It was for my sake, anyway.

Slowly, I sat up and slipped off the bed. My feet hit the cold floor that was cold due to the air conditioner that was on full blast. I shuffled to the door and opened it. As I walked out of the room, I felt a dramatic difference. The halls of the mansion were as hot as it was outside, while all the bedrooms were as cold as ice.

I reached the staircase and walked downstairs. I had a random chill slide down my back because of the drastic difference between the bedroom and the rest of the house.

As I reached the bottom of the staircase, I noticed the girl's sitting around in the living room watching tv.

"Well, look who it is," Hailie sneered.

I peered over. Alaina did too, and she had one of those looks, telling Hailie to 'cut it out'

"Listen, girls. I'm in no mood for this bullshit okay? I have enough I have to deal with," I explained.

I went to keep walking and be the bigger man until Whitney wrongfuly decided to speak up.

"It isn't 'bullshit' We're just saying look at who decided to finally show her face."

I was appalled by Whitney. Hearing the word "bullshit" come out of her mouth was very displeasing.

"Whitney, watch your mouth," Alaina spoke up.

Whitney rolled her eyes. It pained me to stay there arguing. Once again, I tried to walk to the kitchen because my mouth felt like sand paper, and I really desperately needed some water, but of course, Hailie went and opened her mouth as well.

"What you've got no comebacks today?" she rebuddled, her arms crossed.

I huffed. My patience was being put to the absolute test that day, and if the day kept going like this, I sure would fail.

"No, Hailie. I don't have a comeback okay? Can I go now?"

They all stared up at me. I don't know how much longer they needed to torment me, but they'd best stop soon.

"You can leave our lives, yes I'd like that!" she said, putting a fake smile.

"Yea,for real, because no body wants here," Whitney muttered.

I had already been in a dreadful mood with the passing of my father, stressed because of Darron's unexpected visit, and now that Hailie and Whitney felt the need to mouth off again, it was the last straw. I was a time bomb waiting to explode. They erupted some fury inside me, and I exploded.

"Alright listen! I am getting tired of you guys treating me like shit! I made a mistake, but everyone else is over it! I'm sorry you hate me, but that gives you no right to treat me like I'm any less!" I exclaimed to them.

I had their full attention now. I kept going since there was no use im stopping the flow of anger pouring out of my like lava out of a volcano.

"You guys don't know what I've been dealing with right now, and you do not have the rught to make things more worse than they already are!"

Hailie and Whitney both looked down.  My eyes were hot and my vision was blurred. Instead of crying in front of them, I turned right around and began darting back upstairs.

I barged into the bedroom and went back into the bed where I should've just stayed. I hated having to yell at them, but all their comments and remarks were pushing me over the edge. Especially with all the stressors in my life, I didn't need Marshall's kids to be one of them.

I heard footsteps storm into the room seconds later.

"Babe, what happened? I heard you yelling," Marshall asked, walking over to my side.

I kept my eyes locked shut because I didnt need to cry over this, but since I was that sensitive it may had just happened.

"Why don't you go ask your daughters?" I snapped.

I heard him exasperate heavily and sit down on the edge of the bed. "Why can't you just tell me?"

"I don't think you noticed, but your daughters have been giving me quite an attitude. They say things to me, and treat me like complete garbage," I admitted to him. "and since I was afraid to tell you, I just took it."

My arm was covering my eyes, but I felt the crevise between my arms become a little wet. I didn't hear him say anything. I only heard him breathe, breathe heavily enough where they were considered huffs each time he exhaled.

"What do they say?" he asked.

His hand was on my lap again, slightly calming me down.

"They say that they wish I wasn't there and they say you deserve better than me."

It was time he found out. It was time that he figured out what his daughters do when he wasn't looking.

"I'm so sorry, Daya. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know, I was worried by how you'd respond."

He continued lightly carresing my leg. I lifted my arm from my eyes finally. The part of my arm that had rested on my eyes was damped very little with tears.

"Hey, don't worry okay? I'll talk to them," he told me.

I nodded my head and sat up straight. He was right next me, and his eyes were positioned on my face. .

"You okay?" he asked again, his soft eyes digging deeper for an explanation.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I wasn't entirely fine, but enough to tell him.

He shook his head. Marshall leaned over, and pulled me into his arms for a hug. Like usual, I burried my face into his neck. He rubbed the small of my back in tiny circles with his hands. I laid their quietely, taking in his sweet smelling cologne.

(Sorry this chapter is kinda shitty)