Chapter 7

I sat in the car quietly, staring out into the magenta skys, with cotton ball-shaped clouds floating all around. The evening sun was peeking from behind the horizon line, slowly disappearing and giving the moon a chance to shine.

My mind trailed farther than Neptune, and I started thinking about how Marshall offered me shelter from Darron in his not-so humble abode. It was going to be odd being back. Staying in the house of my last love was a different experience. I had to admit, what Marshall did was very admirable. No one told him to knock Darron out, and no one told him to defend me. He chose to do everything, to protect me.

I glanced up at the rear view mirror. My cheeks and nose were red and bumpy. Most of my eyelid was a bruised purple, and there were a few scratches running along my cheek and upper-lip. Just then, Jane, with a suitcase of clothes and her swade jacket, walked quickly out of the house and to the car. She hopped in the backseat. I covered my face in my hands so she didn't see any marks of anger left by him.

"Mom? Are you leaving Darron?" she asked, looking down at her thumbs.

I kept my eyes fixed on the window. "Yea, I guess I am," I told her, and it felt good to say it finally.

"And you're getting back together with Marshall, right?" she pleaded, her hopeful eyes glowing in the dim sunlight.

I sighed to myself. "I don't know, Jane. I can't predict the future."

She mumbled something under her breath. I was going to snap at her, ask her what she had said, but I felt so tired and weak I decided to leave it alone.

"What's he doing in there anyway?" I asked Jane.

"He's calling the police."

I raised an eyebrow and began to worry. My guilty pleasure of having Darron around began to take over me and make me become angry at the fact Marshall called the cops and got involved in the first place, despite also being grateful he saved me. My mind seemed to have a small section that had a personality of it's own compared to the rest of my brain, and that part always acted up when I didn't want it to.

As soon as she said that, I heard my front door close. Marshall rushed down to the car, and jumped in. I didn't look at him instantly, but I did take some quick glances. I knew he was looking at me for a minute, with eyes soft like they usually would be in a stressful situation. I continued just staring out the window at the ending sunset as he pushed on the gas pedal, and began driving.

My house is farther from Marshall's than I thought. We had to take the highway back, and it was backed up bad. It was probably another car accident, caused by drunk driving most likely. I noticed Marshall's eyes watch me as we stopped at a red light

"Why do you keep looking at me?" I said to him, still staring out the window at the dark night.

"And why are you offering your home in the first place?" I blurted out quietely.

"Because I want to make sure you're safe, and that you're okay."

I shrugged, staring down at my shoes.

"Besides, isn't that what friends do?" he continued, a little smirk on his face.

I turned to look at him, and his smile made me smirk back for the first time that night. As usual, his smile lightened up the oddly dark summer night, and it allowed me to smile in return. The traffic began to lighten up, as Marshall drove on.

We pulled up to the gates of the mansion. It'd been about two, three years, yet it only feels like it's been two days. Everything seemed the same on the outside. From the rear view mirror, I could see Jane's face. It glowed a natural, and soft tint. Like she was happy to be back. Seeing it made me smile very slightly and mainly to myself, but I know Marshall caught a quick glimpse of it.