Chapter 4

With the groceries piled in the back, I drove down the busy highway. I don't think I had ever shopped that fast.

The road was crowded with people. It was unusual on a day like that. It was a weekday, and it was about 12:00 P.M, so usually people are at work at this time.

I had begun to think about my reacquaintance with Marshall. To think, I thought that he was out of my life forever, but then there he is, back in my life at the worst possible time. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely happy that he didn't hold a grudge, and that he was being so nice, but Darron is still in the picture, and it's hard to kick him out.

A horn blared from behind me, causing me to jump out of my train of thought. There was a large gap between me and the car in front of me. I had been so into thought that I hadn't realized I could move up. I pressed the gas pedal and moved up, seeing the annoyed looks on people's faces behind me. I hate driving. 

That traffic jam would quite literally be the death of me. After what felt like three years and four days, but was only about a twenty minutes, I was finally able to make my usual turn off the highway and drive down to my house. I was completely aware that it had been over an hour, which is how long I told Darron I would be gone.

Finallly, I pulled into my driveway. I rapidly turned the car off and got out. There were only about five bags in the backseat so I was able to grab all of them at once. I closed the car doors with my butt, since my hands were full. As I was walking towards the front door, it swung open, almost wacking me in the face. Darron's figure stood there, staring straight at me with cold eyes.

"Hi, babe," I greeted, trying to slip past him.

He grabbed my arm tightly, and held me in place.

"Where the fuck have you been!" he interrogated, his face really close to mine, so close I was able to smell the strong scent of Jäger trail from his breath.

"I...I was stuck in traffic!" I stuttered.

I ducked out of his grasp and sped off to the kitchen. As I set down the bags of groceries, he stormed up behind me and aggressively spun me around towards him.

"Fuck that! You were not in traffic for that fucking long!"

My fingers and hands were trembling at my sides, and I didn't dare look up at him or move a muscle. The deathly stench of the alcohol filled my nose. I almost felt like fainting

"Where were you!"

"I was with Marshall, okay!" I admitted, grinding my teeth.

He stared down at me, eyes filled with fury.

"Why the fuck were you with him!" he screamed, gripping very tight onto my arms.

I whinced under my breath; the pain of his nails digging into my skin caused me to almost tear up.

"Because I wanted to!! You can't tell-" I began firing, but was cut off.

I swear you could hear it from across the country. The ear shattering sound of his hand dancing with my cheek made the house deafeningly quiete. I looked down to the floor. My entire body shook in fear as I felt my cheek grow to a crimson color.

"Im going out, go upstairs and don't you fucking dare go to visit him!" He commanded, and headed for the front door.

I shuffled slowly out of the kitchen, leaving the bags of groceries scattered along the floor. I would grab them later on. I held my burning cheek in my hands and stepped up the stairs quietely. The little voice in my head wanted to go to look at the damages to my cheek, but I already knew what was there; A large red mark. My vision was blurry from the tears as I walked passed Jane's vacant bedroom.

I sometimes forgot about her being in the room; What a great mother I am. It got so intense that I would usually forget a lot of things in my life that contained much importance. I peered into the room. I looked, but she was no where to be found. Then I had remembered she was with her friend Casey. I was thankful she didn't need to be there to hear the commotion.

I shuffled into my bedroom, and plopped down on my bed. I burried my face into my pillow and let the tears pour out like a waterfall. Why am I so bad at relationships? I wondered. Every single one of my relationships either were terrible, or ended terrible. It was like a curse.

Suddenly, I heared my phone buzz. I really was in no mood to talk to anyone, but I lifted my head from the soaking pillow, pulled out my phone, and checked who it was. I was glad I did, because the person texting me was Marshall.

"Hey, Daya. Again, sorry for cutting our 'date' short. I needed to check something at the studio"

A small smile shaped onto my lips.

"Haha, don't worry," I texted back.

I bit my thumb nail, thinking of something else to say. I wanted to keep talking to him, get my mind off of what happened temporarily.

"I'm glad we were able to talk today, even if it was just for a few minutes"

I stared at the screen, hoping that he responded. As I did, I listened to the passing of cars outside. To the birds that chirped away, living the perfect life. While I wad stuck in a bubble, that everytime I think I popped just magically seemed to reappear.

My phone buzzed in my hand. It made me jump, and then stare at what he responded with.

"I'm glad too. I didn't get to say this, but I just want you to know I'm over what happened. I just want to start over- clean slate" he wrote.

I had a small smile on my face still. My phone buzzed again, as he sent another text.

"I don't wanna come between you and your boyfriend, I'm sure he's a good guy. But I would probably give the world to be friends again,"  he continued.

"I would love to be friends again....imma go now have a lot of things to do. Talk to you later, friend! :)" I texted to him.

He responded instantly, saying,"Have fun! Talk to you later, friend. :)"

My face was still wet, my cheek was still red and burning, but yet I had a smile planted on me face. Even after everything we went through, even if he didn't know it, Marshall was still the only person who can make me smile in a time of need.