Chapter 1

Thoughts rattle through my head as I sit there in the canteen,quiet. No one to talk to,the tables were filled with people. No one I could see myself having a connection with. I sit alone,but suddenly see a young boy sitting across,fiddling with his food. I gulp nervously and look back down.

"Anna!"

My father calls me,I heard he's called ratman quite a lot. I smile and stand up.

"Yes father?'
"Is he bothering you?" He nods to the boy.
"No.." I stutter "He's been completely silent the whole time."
"Good.. Good Aris," he mutters "But,you shouldn't be in here."
"Why not?"
"You're meant to dine with us,me and the rest of the staff,"
I nod "Yes father."
"Good," he smiles and places his hands on my shoulders "Anna,you know I just want the best for you, after your mother died when you were a child."
"You don't have to remind me.."
"I won't anymore,let's go,"

I nod as he takes me out,I turn to the boy called Aris,I see his eyes focused on mine,I whisper his name so low it just evaporates into the air as I'm taken to my room. I braid my hair for bed and pick up the photo frame of mum,I smile and stroke my fingers across her beautiful face..

"What happened to you?" I whisper and kiss it,curling it against my chest as I begin to speak to her "The world is so broken mum.. You have no clue. But dad tells me every single day he's fixing it,he helps the kids. Like me. Takes them somewhere,somewhere he tells me is safe,I'm okay. And I know you are too.."

I place it down as the shuttle bursts open. I gasp and jump back as Aris climbs out-

"What are you doing in here?" I hiss.
"You're ratmans daughter?" His voice is calm and surprisingly soothing.
I nod "Correct."
"Come with me,"
"Why would I do that?"
"Well,answer me this.. What does your father do?"
"He tells me he protects people. He saves lives,"
"Want to see?"
"I actually do," I admit.
"Good. Come with me then."

I find trust within him. I nod and crawl through the tunnel,quiet on the tight vent around me. We keep going until Aris points at a hole,I look through and shake my head.

"What's going on?"
"These kids.. I don't think they're going to a safe place."
"Where are they going then?"
He looks at me and slices his finger across his neck "No one escapes."
I shake heavily "Then,why are we here?"
"No idea. I've been here almost a week,longer than anywhere. It's like I'm the King of this new broken scene."
"I'm the queen then.."
A smile forms on the corners of his lips "So you are."
"Why are you showing me this,Aris?"
"Because you're the only one he actually cares about. Isn't it obvious?"
"He cares about everyone."
"Not true. You need to get him,ask him for the complete truth. Meet me here tomorrow,in the morning at eight,"
I nod "Okay.."

I start to crawl away as his voice stops me in his tracks-

"How did your mother die?"
I don't face him,just spit out the answer "She was sick.. Dad said it was for the best," I shiver at my words and make my way back to my room. Curling up under the covers as I fall asleep.