Chapter 12

"Sometimes you gotta bleed to know,that your alive and have a soul."

I keep the note clutched to me as I walk around. My job was to patrol at night,it was with about seven others. A gun in my hands as I stood there in silence, the others muttered to each other. Words I was desperately convinced to ignore. Just imaging Aris close. I couldn't have lost him yet.

I slowly walk towards a tall blonde girl "Hey... Um.. Who normally comes here at night?"
"It could be intruders,or Cranks. You new?"
"Yes,they took me from a good place."
She smiles "What's his name?" She's talking as if we've known each other forever.
"Aris.. I need to get out of her to find him."
"I'm sorry but there's no leaving this place."
I shake my head "You're just scared."
"You ain't scared you ain't human."

I nod slowly "You know a way?"
"I've been here a year. Of course, I know every route of this place."
"Well if you could help I'd be-"

My sentence is cut off as the glass is smashed through heavily. We all point the gun at it,heart beating rapidly. It couldn't be Aris.

"Good evening from The World Catastrophe Kill Zone department," my fathers voice echoes "Hand her over. Anna. Anna. Anna Janson. Anna Janson. A reward will be handed,a girl with brown hair,blue eyes and freckles. Find her and also Aris Jones,I want him shot!"

I see everyone looking at me, knowing who I am as dad's men,many recognisable come running through. Dressed in black. Screaming out my name,I whimper and look down as everyone's rounded up. I turn away and duck down,finding a dodgy floorboard. I lift it up and see a ladder. Smiling as I disguise it back up and climb down,into nowhere.

"What the hell?" I mutter as I look around.

There's a few dead cranks. Then just messy grey bricks. I sit down as I hear sirens,gunshots,and my name being called over and over as I cry into my hands. Just waiting for Aris to hold me again. And if pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. Then I will either wait for him or forget him.

"Boss, I can't find her. No one knows where she is,there all immune too. The teenagers,"
"Then load them all into the Van and shoot anyone else who disapproves," father snaps.
"Yes sir-"
"We do not stop until we have cleared every inch of this place until my daughter is found."
"The men are looking now."
"Why would she betray my trust?"
"I can't answer that sir."
"Where could they be?"

"Dr Janson!" I hear someone banging on the floor boards above me "There's a trap door."

My eyes open wide as I begin to search around. Panting as I see someone near the corner. Harriet. My eyes open wide as she presses her fingers to her lips, I crawl over and she helps me under a trap door. We begin walking down crumbling corridors. Like a Maze.

"How did you know I was here?" I ask.
"I didn't. I checked everywhere."
"Where's Aris?"
"He's safe."
I nod and smile-

"You will survive this," Harriet says "I'm praying for it."

"Why me?"
"Aris. Of course."
"You think I'm a bad person?" I ask her. She just stays silent "You do... It's.. We're children,teenagers. I'm good. I promise. It's the children the world almost breaks who grow up to save it."
"I know," she gulps "You're not him. You'll never be him."
"So trust me,"
"It's not that simple-"
"Aris did it!"
"Aris is in love with you. You're different from us all. You're.."
"A what!?"

"A Crank."