Chapter 16

"Things can't be all bad,can't be all good either. Remember that."

(Flashback)

People are suffering everywhere. And I don't understand why.

I lie in bed,door closed. I didn't want anyone to enter. I read slowly,one of those books about the beauty Princess who's rescued. But why her,couldn't she fend for herself? Being a ten year old with these thoughts is quite disturbing. I braid my hair into a single style,like my mother would always do. She was the only one who could make this place feel safe. The only one I could truly believe in.

As these thoughts rush through my head I hear a gun shot. I jump but keep myself down,I heard them all the time but it still felt every single one was a signal. Like a signal telling me something and was happening,and that I had to do something. So I wait for about half an hour until I hear a knock at the door. I place my book down and walk to it,opening it up to see one of fathers friends. He smiles at me slowly-

"Hello Anna..." His voice is cold and croaky.
"You okay Jack?"
"My father wanted me to tell you something. This isn't either. Your mother.. Well she's,she killed herself."

My eyes open wide as my heart feels like it's racing around my body,my legs turning to jelly as I sprint around the place. I felt like I was dying,like my brain was eating itself out,I couldn't stop shaking. I just had this want to scream out,but that wouldn't help me find her. Until I find my father,I run into his arms but pull away insanity. Panting heavily as I squeeze his arms tightly,the tears streaming down my face.

"No.." I choke out "This isn't true. You're lying!" But he doesn't reply to this. I burrow my head into his right shoulder,squeezing my hands together "What happened?" I scream out over and over. Too much pain and a rush of emotions. Why would she do this?

To dad

To her friends

To her life

To her work

To her happiness

To her sanity

To me.

(Flashback over)

We run down the halls as quick as we can,but I'm grabbed back. We all are. I cry out but it's no use. My father holds my head tightly as the tears fall down at a rapid pace.

"You all think your heroes," he smirks "Well let me tell you,you're so bloody far from that."
"We're trying to help.." Aris chokes out "Because with you,people keep dying. People keep getting hurt."
"For a cause."
"It isn't working," I pant and shove him. Grabbing Aris then Harriet as I pull out the gun,pointing it at one of the Guards. I aim correctly to result in him falling to the ground dead. I pant and turn away,feeling relief flood over me. But I couldn't kill my father,I couldn't loose both my parents. No matter now monstrous he was.

"CRANKS!" Aris screams as we turn around to see them storming towards us. I pant as we all begun to run,Harriet and me shooting them down from behind us. But there weren't enough bullets in the world to manage this. But one lurches out at me- His hair a beautiful blonde,eyes brown with a face I could tell was once beautiful.

"WHERE'S TOMMY?" He screams at me,nostrils flaring heavily.
"I.. I.. Don't know a Tommy," I cry as he's overtaken by the other Cranks. I shake the image out of my head and begin to run again,until we reach a door,we slide through and shut it on the Cranks who bang on it ferociously,I just clutch onto Aris. Shaking heavily.

"There's no one here,it's okay..." He pants "Harriet stay with Anna. I'm gonna look for food and water,"

I nod and keep the gun in my hands as Aris wanders off then Harriet begins to walk around,scampering through random supplies. Everything seems calm until a Wicked guard runs towards me. I shoot him and he drops to the ground.

Harriet jumps and turns around "It's okay.." I smile "I think we're safe now.."

But at that moment I'm too relieved,feeling to safe as a gun is shot into my stomach. I gasp and cup my hands over it as I fall to the ground...