Chapter 46 - Spas and Hospital Beds

I leaned into the phone that I held against my ear. "Did you find anything?" I whispered a little loudly into my phone's receiver. I wanted no one else to hear my conversation. With how the people in this town lacked the ability to keep their mouths shut, I knew that if even one of the spa workers heard me, then my private life and feelings and our secret investigation would blow up.

I didn't mind if the queen heard me. I had realized that when I dialed the number. Kendra really couldn't hear me, anyway, through the mud on her face. At this point, I didn't care much if she did hear me. I didn't care what she thought anymore. I felt like I was already done here, and my physical presence was only needed so that there wouldn't be much of a town ruckus bothering me.

"No. To be honest, your hint about his dad wasn't all that much to go off of, so cut me some slack." Parker told me on the other line. His side of the conversation wasn't nearly as calm, quiet, and meditative as my side of the line. There was yelling, and there was music. I could barely make out what Parker was saying, but I knew it wasn't good news.

With three days to the wedding, our little wedding party divided itself for the respective bachelor and bachelorette parties. That number was right. Three days to the wedding, and we were grasping at straws for something to stop it. No one had been able to crack Aiden on what was going on with his father. Alani, Harry, Parker, and Christian had been trying, but Aiden clammed up on the topic.

Even being in this relaxing and quiet spa, I could feel the hand around my heart clenching tighter. I didn't know how to make it stop, but it seemed that it made me more and more desperate as the days were going on. The wedding was occupying my mind all the time now, and it caused my nails to be rough and ugly.

I just wanted something to go right, for good news for once so that the pressure in my chest would postpone its explosion.

I stood outside the room in which the girls and I have been in for the past four hours in my fluffy and soft white robe. They were getting pampered and such without a care in the world, whereas I was constantly chewing on my lips thinking of something else. Someone else. After two hours, I had finally got up and made this call to Parker. My temple rested against the wood next to me as I closed my eyes. "Three days, Parker. In case, you can't count. Three days to stop this God forsaken wedding."

"Don't start getting bitchy with me. I know how important this is, but Aiden doesn't want to talk about his dad at all, and as the night goes by, he's getting less capable of talking at all." Parker explained with a sigh. He wasn't completely agitated just because of me. He was annoyed because he was feeling a little strung out, too.

I gritted my teeth. "What are we supposed to do? Kendra is at total peace right now because she thinks she's winning. She is winning. I can't stand it!" I said to Parker as I open my brown eyes again. I peered into the room that Ginger had reserved for us. Kendra was lying with mud all over her porcelain face as someone did her manicure and another person rubbed her feet. Obviously, she didn't have a care in the world while she reclined in the large, tan massage chair.

Ginger had organized the bachelorette party because she was the one that Kendra still trusted. So, this little spa getaway was tailored perfectly to Kendra's specifications. Despite Kendra's apparently shallow and fragile and naive trust in her sister, Ginger also couldn't dig anything out of her. I thought that Kendra might be acting cautious with these days leading up to the wedding because she knew that something may or may not be happening.

That was no help.

"Stop being overd-" Parker started to try and calm me down, but there was shifting noise that had cut him off.