Chapter 16 - Too Tight Dresses

It was easy to get the feeling of choking and suffocation. You could have felt suffocated by obligations, your parents, or your friends. I could easily have told that Alani was suffocating from guilt. Lauren was suffocating from her family issues because she was buried under all of it. Christian was suffocating from a load of work that he had put off. Aiden was unknowingly suffocating from his bride, but was actually suffocating from in-laws and choices that Kendra shoved down his throat. I was suffocating from my bridesmaid dress.

Kendra squealed happily. “Oh, it looks great on you!” She stared at me.

The dress I stood in was an ugly yellow color that didn’t suit any of us bridesmaids, and we did not look good in any way, shape, or form. We didn’t protest, though, as a courtesy. Lauren was fingering the soft dress fabric with her thumb and forefinger as she sat in a seat. A look of disbelief set in her eyes as she touched the huge flower on the one strap, and she muttered something about the color of baby bile. Alani frowned as she stared at me, and there was a slight shake in her head. I was more concentrated at the feeling of being squeezed around my waist area. “I can’t breathe.” I gasped quietly as I ran my hands again over the tight area.

Alani’s frowned deepened as Kendra continued to smile like I didn’t say anything. “That’s one thing of a million things to do. Jordyn, I need you to meet me for dinner. We’ve got a lot more to do and not a lot of time.” Kendra poured some of the offered champagne the shop girl had given us.

“I don’t know about these dresses, Kendra.” Alani said worriedly as she eyed me. I thought she was waiting for me to pass out from lack of oxygen. She was so worried that she was willing to challenge Kendra.

Kendra disregarded her comment with a wave of her hand. “Well you don’t know much about these fancy affairs anyways, Alana.” My ears didn’t deceive me, right? She just called Alani Alana, right?

“Alani.” Alani corrected her irritably. I guess this isn’t the first time that the name has not been pronounced correctly.

“Whatever.” Kendra disregarded her. “At least the dresses don’t need to be fixed. Finally, something is done right on the first try.” I pursed my lips as I felt my waist again and listened to Kendra.  The seams of my dress lined my side, and I could feel them wanting to be let loose. My fingertips ran along them lightly, and I felt tempted. “Now to the next thing... Jordyn!”

My fingers tighten around the fabric that I have just ripped. I blinked, and I heard Lauren snort as she looked down at her phone. The yellow pieces of cloths were separated in my hand, but my lungs felt relief as the now sagging dress allowed room for the inflation of my innards. I could breathe again, and Kendra looked at me like I was crazy. “It was too tight.” I told her. “It was already ripping.” There was no way that I could justify this instinctive act. I knew it, and I didn’t try hard to get out of Kendra’s wrath.

Soon enough, she was yelling. “Jordyn, are you absolutely insane? You can’t go around ripping and tearing dresses that I picked out for my wedding! I can’t believe you just did that! That dress costs a fortune, and now I have to get it fixed! You should know that you have to pay for it! Of all the idiotic things that you have done during your life, which by the way is a lot more than you think, this one definitely makes the list. Have you lost brain cells or something? You obviously can’t think for yourself. I had this dress specifically designed for you guys and look what you have done! I try to get you all these nice things and you just tear it up!” Kendra’s face heated to a red color as she continued to insult my intelligence, which I’ll admit I was questioning as well at this moment. Her hands moved emphatically as she basically whapped anything daring to come near her. She took steps close to me, but she never got in my face. Instead, she started to walk and pace around the white dressing room like a madman still spewing what I was sure was an endless list of offenses against me that she has been dying to say for years.