THE BLESSING

MUSIC : Sometimes

"Happy Father's day, Papa!!" Mama Pornphan, Aom, and Alice were hugging and kissing Papa PraSong. It's his special day today, so the whole family went to celebrate the occasion at a beach resort. Aom arranged for it. She had everything catered from breakfast until lunch, made special only for the four of them. She made sure all her dad's food fancies will be served. She wants her dad to enjoy this day.

"Thank you so much...You just don't know how happy you have made me this day." Papa PraSong was teary eyed, kissing her daughters and Mama Pornphan. He looked at Aom...she was emotional. " I love you, Papa..." she said. Papa PraSong put his arm around Aom's shoulder, and gave her a kiss on the forehead. He was crying. Then he looked at Mama Pornphan, who in turn, looked away. She was crying too. They're both aware what's going on with Aom, but they don't want Aom to notice that they're affected. They want their children to feel free and be happy today, just like when they were kids.

After breakfast, Aom and Alice decided to walk by the shore. But then after a while, Aom just wanted to sit on the sand and watch the waves. Alice was too busy collecting different shells, a thing they were fond of doing, when they were still kids.

Aom's watching the waves . And then she closed her eyes and enjoyed the fresh air. She remembered the last time she and Tina went to the beach, and the conversation they had during that time. Tina made her promise not to forget about her. "Now I know why...As if Tina already knew what was going to happen..." Aom told herself. She took a deep breath... Then she looked at her right index finger, she used it to write something on the sand. She wrote..."I love you, Tina." Then she erased it. She wrote again another one..." I need you back..." then she erased it again. She closed her eyes, tears began to fall..."she wrote something again..."How?.."

Both Mama Pornphan and Papa PraSong were staying on the cottage's balcony, enjoying the beach view. They were also looking at their daughters from afar. "How time flies...Before, they were just playful, naughty kids. But now, look at them...they have become beautiful, lovely women. One, a lawyer ; and the other one, a famous celebrity. Makes me so proud of them...So proud. " Papa PraSong said. There was a crack in his voice. Mama Pornphan held on to his shoulder. "Am I a good father?" Papa PraSong asked his wife. "Yes...You're the best father who only wanted the best for his children. " says Mama Pornphan . "If that is so? Then why do I feel so guilty hurting my child, when all her life all she wanted to do was to show how much she loves me, how much she loves us, unconditionally. Am I too selfish denying her of the happiness she truly deserves? Because if that is so, it defeats the very purpose of this day." Papa PraSong turned to face Mama Pornphan. Tears fell on his cheeks. Mama Pornphan was crying too. She held her husband's face... " You weren't selfish. You just thought you were doing the right thing because you were so ideal. But because we're parents, we should also learn how to bend some ideals to meet our children halfway. Just like how Aom is loving us, we should love them back unconditionally. There's always a way to make things right. It would still be up to you. I'm not forcing you. Nobody's forcing you. But I think from what I heard from you, seems to me you want to give it a try. There's no harm in trying, especially if it's for our children..." Mama Pornphan hugged Papa PraSong so tight. " I'm sorry, honey..." says Papa Prasong. " Shhh...no need to be sorry. So? Are you willing to give it a try?" asked Mama Pornphan. " Yes. All for the love of Aom...I want her to be happy." Papa PraSong said. "Thank you so much..." Mama Pornphan was crying, but now, it was tears of joy.

As soon as they were finished with lunch, the Manaying family headed back to the city. They still have two more things on their agenda, dinner and shopping. Finally, after three hours, they reached their destination. They were on an outdoor mall complete with everything. "This looks like a cool place." says Papa Prasong. "Maybe , we should have early dinner first, so we could have more time for shopping afterwards. " Aom said. " I think that's a good idea." says Alice. " Then let's get going! " Mama Pornphan said.

After having dinner, they decided to go shopping in pairs. " I'll be going with Alice. You two, go together. " Mama Pornphan said, motioning for both Aom and Papa PraSong to go together. "Ma, why not all of us go together?" asked Aom. " Yeah, why not?" says Alice. "Because me and your Papa wants to do it in pairs , so we could have alone time with both of you. " Mama Pornphan was looking at Alice, and was raising her eyebrows, motioning for Alice to just say, yes. Alice gave her a puzzled look. Mama Pornphan winked at her, and let Alice read her lips saying..."Papa will talk to Aom. Let them be..."Alice got the message. "Oh, okay..." she said. " Let's go, Ma. See you guys later. " Alice tugged along Mama Pornphan. "Huh??? Hey, where are you going?" Aom yelled at Alice. "We're just going to call you! Enjoy!" Alice yelled back. Aom was shaking her head, and then she turned to look at her dad. Papa PraSong made a funny face of making his eyes looked so big and was flashing a winning smile, showing all his white teeth. Aom was surprised seeing her dad like that. She laughed so hard. "What's going on? Why is everybody acting so weird? Was there an eclipse while we were having dinner?" Aom was shaking her head, and was still laughing, it made Papa PraSong laughed too.

"So, Pa. Where to?" Do you want us to buy your shoes first?" asked Aom. "You're the boss, sweety." says Papa Prasong. So, Aom and her dad went to buy shoes. She bought her dad two pairs of shoes and a pair of slippers. Then they went shopping for clothes. Aom bought a lot for her dad, casual clothes and formal suits. Then she remembered, she likes it whenever her dad wears a necktie. "Come on , Pa. There's a cool tie shop here." says Aom, tugging her dad along. Aom grabbed three kinds of ties. " Okay, you choose... Minions... Avengers... or let's look at a more simple one... Daffy Duck..." says Aom, smiling. She's teasing her dad. "Hmnnn...I think I'll choose Daffy Duck...I like him. He's a talker." says Papa Prasong. "Okay, let me try it on you. " Aom said. She put the tie around Papa PraSong's collar, and then started doing the knot. While Aom was doing it, Papa PraSong looked closely at her daughter. "Do you still remember the reason why I thought you how to fix a tie?" he asked Aom. Aom cleared her throat. "Yes. You told me I should learn how to do this for my future husband. That way I'll always be the one to fix it for him. " she said. She took a deep breath. Obviously, that topic was awkward for her. " There...that looks good on you, Pa. " says Aom. "Thanks, sweety." Papa PraSong said. He noticed Aom's uneasiness. He looked at Aom , who was also looking at him. "You did a good job fixing my necktie. But I don't think, you won't be needing the skill anymore..." says Papa Prasong. "Huh? Why?" asked Aom. Papa PraSong put both his hands on Aom's shoulders. "Because I don't think Tina would want to wear one..." he looked at Aom, teary eyed. Aom looked at her dad. She was surprised hearing that from him. Tears fell on her cheeks. "Pa...what are you saying?" asked Aom, she's crying, but she knows it was tears of joy. "What I'm saying is...Go follow your heart... I don't want to hurt you anymore..." Papa PraSong said. "But what about you? I don't want you to get sick..." asked Aom. "Believe me, I think I'm feeling much better now..." then Papa PraSong hugged Aom so tight. "I'm sorry , sweety...your Papa can be so selfish at times..." " It's okay, Pa...it's okay...Thank you. I love you so much..." Aom said, touching her dad's face. She's crying , but she's smiling. She is so happy. " I missed that smile...you look so beautiful." says Aom's dad." We're like two crazy people here. Crying , but smiling...and then hugging. We're creating a crowd." Aom said, embracing her dad. " I don't care if this becomes viral. This is our day. Our happy day! " Papa Prasong said. He kissed Aom on the forehead.