Chapter 30 - Stories and Explanations

"Drake?" Aalto asked. "He punched you? Why?" For a second, Slayzes thought Aalto was stupid, but then remembered that only three people knew about Drake beating Slayzes up. Those people were Riley, Skylah and Bailey.

"I just ticked him off ..." Slayzes lied. "Let my mouth run ... said stuff I shouldn't of said."

"Well what did you say?" Emma asked out of the blue.

"Stuff ..." Slayzes answered awkwardly.

"Well when he punched you, why didn't you fight back?" Emma asked. She cocked her eyebrow and began to tap her foot. When Slayzes didn't answer her, she added, "Like using earth to make a shield of stone and then hit him with it? Or drench him with water? Burn him with fire and cut his skin with air?"

"Uhh ..." Slayzes trailed off. He had no idea why he didn't use the elements. He could of defended himself, but instead, he surrendered and told Drake to punch him. Slayzes could almost produce blocks of ice, he could of at least tried to slip Drake over by making a small trail.

"You're joking!" Emma exclaimed. "Slayzes -" she knocked on his head -"you and Drake have had fights before and all of them he's won. Come on, you made into the final eight of The Competition. And Drake is just mean.

Slayzes found Emma's words encouraging, but she had no idea about Drake's trust issues. She didn't even know about them being brothers, or that Slayzes used to bully Drake when they were in high school.

"Is he deaf, Aalto?" Emma asked, snapping Slayzes out of his thoughts.

"No, just a complicated past," Aalto answered simply.

"Sorry, Emma. I was thinking," said Slayzes bluntly.

"About?" Aalto asked.

"It's hard to explain. So why are you two here?" Slayzes asked, wanting to change the topic to something else.

"We had nothing to do, so we both came here and decided to wait for the bell," Emma explained.

"What about Lucy?" Slayzes asked Aalto. He thought Aalto would be spending time with her. They were dating after all.

"She broke up with me a few days ago," Aalto answered in a bitter tone. "I don't know why, so save your questions," he added when Slayzes opened his mouth to speak.

"Oh ..." Slayzes muttered. "Sorry," was all he could say and that led to awkward silence. Thankfully, the bell went a few moments later and most of the class started waiting outside of the classroom.

Because of what Aalto said, Slayzes started thinking about what happened when Aalto and Lucy announced their relationship. Emily ... Slayzes thought.

Slayzes remembered Emily being super mad and storming off in a hurry right after Aalto and Lucy announced their relationship. And still, after months, nobody ever found out why Emily was so mad. Did she have feelings for Aalto?

Slayzes and Riley both finished their textbook work on crystals and their special abilities. They started drawing things in an book they shared but Slayzes kept on thinking about Emily when she stormed off.

Once their Earth lesson finished, Slayzes and Riley went to go for a walk around the school. Riley had been waiting for almost three weeks for this walk. Slayzes always remembered his promise to her.