Chapter One: Absences & Pizza Guys

"You're not okay," I reply automatically as my best friend, Kendall sits in the bathroom, wiping off her smudged mascara and staring in the mirror with a depressed look on her face.

"Just admit it, Ken. You need help," I whisper putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. She just nods, her eyes locked on mine in the mirror, and then pulls me into a hug that makes me wish I could be her fairy godmother.

Although I'd rather not wear the poofy dress and have a dumb wand I have to carry everywhere because I'm really bad at keeping track of things.

Kendall is the same way. We wear t-shirts and shorts because we just don't feel like trying. Don't get me wrong, I still wear some mascara sometimes and I always try to look okay on Fridays, but otherwise I couldn't care less. We have football almost everyday after school and are constantly pegged as lesbian lovers for wanting to play a "boy sport." People are so sexist and annoying. I love football and I don't see why it matters so badly if we do what we love like everyone else.

"Ky, I'll be fine. I just am tired of being called things like this," she replies, fiddling with her hands. I smile, trying to brighten the mood.

"I know exactly what'll make you feel better!" I exclaim. Her face shows a glint of hope before realization hits and she knows exactly where we're going.

Orange Leaf is our favorite frozen yogurt place. I pull up my black Lexus up to the brightly colored sign that reads "Orange Leaf" and park right in the front. She smiles and looks like a little kid as she hops out and runs into her frozen yogurt heaven. I laugh as my "Best Friend" ring tone blares out in the evening breeze as the wind nips a little at my nose. I reach in my pocket to find Josh's face on the screen.

"Hello?" I greet, an annoyed look on my face since the ring tone was so loud.

"Ky, we're on our way" He states as I hear his car radio playing The Weeknd.

"On your way where?" I ask, really confused. Then realization hits me like a brick.

Shit.

"To your house...? Remember the fam bam sleepover?" I sigh, feeling stressed because I was planning to have already ordered pizza, drinks, and some smarties.

"Well Ken wanted some froyo so I'm gonna let her eat. You know the garage code," I reply nervously, hoping he isn't too upset.

"Duh but are you at Orange Leaf?" He asks, turning down the radio in the background so he can hear me.

"No, we went to Cherry Berry," I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm, rolling my eyes.

Cherry Berry is the only other yogurt place in Iowa and we all hate the yogurt there with a hatred. We've been to Orange Leaf every time we've had a craving for froyo ever since Kendall's 7th birthday when we all went together for her party. And we've stuck to it, Cherry Berry is our rival. I know it's dumb, but it's been a tradition to come here on Kendall's birthday ever since then.

"Haha, you're so funny," he says. I can almost hear his eyes roll. I laugh and am surprised to hear him say,

"We're heading there now. Ken's yogurt is on me," before hanging up abruptly, not even giving me time to argue.

***
-Josh's POV-
"Dude why would you waste your last $8 on Kennedy's froyo?" Marcus asks me, looking in the passenger seat mirror, trying to fix the spike he did with hair gel. Kenny is sitting in the back seat as I see him roll his eyes at that. Is Marcus stupid? Like where have you been these last few years?

"Because I like her," I state proudly. Marcus frowns and begins to sigh. I roll my eyes.

"It's been 4 years dude. Please just get over it," Marcus whines slapping his forehead with his hands. Marcus doesn't understand. He likes a girl for two weeks he's got her within the next week. He likes to spend time with them for two weeks as friends. He calls it the personality test.