Chapter Twenty-Three: Proposals & Misunderstanding

-Kennedy's POV-

"Yes!" I exclaim, running over to a nervous Hunter. His face lights up at my response and he pulls me into a hug. I smile at him as we get lost.

"But why?" I ask him suddenly. He's taken aback and rolls his eyes. He brushes a piece of my hair back and my breath hitches at our close proximity.

"Are you crazy?" He asks, grinning. I shake my head and look down bashfully. He lifts my chin up and seems to inspect every inch of my face.

"You're the most beautiful girl I've ever met. You are hilarious and make boring times fun. You're so honest and I would love to get to know you more. You're amazing, Ken," he says, using a cute pet name. I stare deep into his golden brown eyes and sigh internally.

He is so cute.

"Awww," Reece says from behind me where all the others are standing. I almost forgot the rest of them were here. When I'm with him, I feel like we're the only two people in the universe. It's weird because I don't know him that well, but I feel like we have a special connection.

"And you're going to look even more amazing in your winter formal dress. Can't wait," he says, and with that, he turns and walks out the door. I'm left speechless and completely flustered. When the door clicks shut, I slowly turn to the others.

"Umm so I guess I'm going to winter formal with Hunter..?" I say, more like a question than a statement. I search their faces, but one catches my eye.

Josh.
***
-Josh's POV-

"Josh?" Ky tries again. I just shake my head and continue to walk down the hall, her trailing behind me. I wish this was all just a bad dream. She can't go to Winter Formal with freaking Hunter!

"Joshua Michael Spear," Ky whines, still pestering me. I roll my eyes and turn to her with an annoyed expression. She can't keep up with me on crutches, but still tries. I turn and stomp my foot angrily at her, getting really close to her because I want her to understand every single word.

"Ky, please. Just stop okay? You don't know what it feels like to have someone not like you back," I grunt, waving my hands hysterically. She laughs dryly and shakes her head at me.

"Funny, bud."

"You really don't. You don't understand the pain I go through everyday. That pain just sits there, haunting me every second of everyday. Why? Because I love someone who will never love like she used to with me," I snap back. She laughs again, making me stop in my tracks when I was about to walk away.

"Yeah you're right. I didn't have my diary read to the whole school. You're right, I didn't have my crush suddenly become my worst nightmare," she says. I just stand there, unable to turn and meet her sad brown eyes.

"You're right. I haven't been single for the past 6 years of my life, Josh. I haven't dreamt every day of knowing how you guys feel when you love each other so passionately," she continues. I can hear the pain behind her words. I forgot how long she's been single.

"I never get to see my dad and we aren't the most privileged family. I was shot in the leg during a school shooting. I haven't seen my dad in 4 years. No boy has even thought about me in a romantic way since the fifth grade."

"You're right. I wouldn't know pain if it slapped me in the face," she chokes. I sigh and run a finger through my hair. I feel horrible. I've only been without Kennedy for a few weeks, almost a month now. I turn to apologize to my best friend, but when I look back, the hallway is empty.