Chapter Twenty-Two: Fresh Wounds & Heroes

-Reece's POV-

The love of my life has been shot in the side.

"I love you!" He cries out, falling to the ground.

I feel like my world is crashing down, just like I feared it would. Tears cloud my eyes, but before I can even really process what's happened, Josh grows a small brown nose and dark fur that spreads through his whole body. I see his once pure blue eyes turn ravenous for the man's death. He's so angry, I'm just wanting for him to slash his brains out, but he suddenly stops.

-Josh's POV-

I'm no better than this man, killing someone for no reason. Sure, Parker might die, but no one deserves death. Not one person. I feel Kyah's words in the back of my mind, stopping me from ripping his cold, black heart out.

"Let's not dig that hole deeper."

"I can't," I say slowly. I watch as its arms stop shielding itself. I'm back to me. I will not let this person change who I am. I will not be a murderer. Call me a coward, say "you could've save everyone and been a hero." Being a hero isn't what I want. I want to be the bigger person, and if that means I get shot, then fine. Ky might die. I want to do what she would've wanted. The figure in all black crosses his arms and smiles slyly.

"Well that was some act you just put on there, kid. Too bad it didn't amuse me enough. You're dead," he says. So it is a guy. I nod and I'm bracing myself for the blow when Kennedy sends a wave hard enough to knock him out as he rests his head on the wall, passed out. I stare back at the girl I once knew. She throws her hands up in defense.

"Hey, just because you're being the bigger person, doesn't mean I have to. He just about killed Parker and technically this bastard isn't even dead yet."

Always the defensive one.

"It's okay. He's knocked out, which will give us time to think," Reece says, pondering over some things. The cupboard is shaking as Ky tries to escape. I'm about to speak about it when the noise suddenly stops.

Blood loss.

-Reece'sPOV-

  My heart seems to pound so hard I'm almost positive everyone in the room can hear it. I look down at my feet. Parker reaches up for me in the corner of my eye and I bend down to listen to him.

"I really mean it. I love you," he says, holding my hand. I try to laugh at his silliness.

"You're not dying, stupid. You're staying right here with me. You'll be fine, I pro-" I start, but he cuts me off and shushes me.

"Never promise something you can't keep," he whispers. He smiles at me and I feel alive (even though I'm sure he feels anything but), as he holds my face in his hands and we stare into each other's eyes.

I love him.

The words just won't force out. Why? Because I'm afraid I'll never get to say them again. I'm terrified that this is the last time. I'm mortified that this could be end of our story, even though this morning I was sure it would last till death due us past. I was so sure I would've bet my signature pendant necklace over it.

"You're going to pull through, Parker. You're my everything and more," is all I say because I can't say those three words. They might cause me to kneel over and cry. I feel like I'll be the one that's truly dying inside. He just nods, although I feel like it's only for my benefit.

"I'll see you when you wake up," I say cheekily. He forces a smile through the pain and touches my face once more before his arm drops. I feel like his arm was me. Dropping and falling with no one but the floor to catch me at the bottom. That I can promise.