Chapter 29

Ryan tossed and turned as nightmares filled his head and haunted his dreams. He saw blood spray in front of his eyes and felt like his chest was being ripped apart. His whole body was burning like he was on fire. What was happening? He ripped at his skin and pulled at his hair, desperately trying to stop the pain. It hurt so bad... he couldn't see anything through the haze of pain. Or maybe that was just a regular haze.

Everything around Ryan had turned to black as he rolled around in the nothingness, screaming without sound. Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He opened my eyes and his heart froze. Jacob nelt in front of him with a smile. He was covered in blood, it was dripping from every lock of hair on his head, and his eyes were glazed over despite his warm smile; there was no light in them.

Ryan trembled in despair as he stared at him. "You're dead," he whispered. "It's all my fault. I couldn't protect you!"

"It's okay," Jacob said. "You don't have to worry. I'm fine. I'm okay."

"No, you're not!" Ryan wanted to hold him, wanted to feel the weight of him in his arms, but he didn't dare touch him. He didn't deserve to. "Because of me you're dead... You were shot because I was too weak to protect you."

He shook his head. "No... You were much stronger than anyone could be. You did everything you possibly could," Jacob said.

"But, I still failed! I screwed up and got you... killed." Ryan covered his face with his hands and sobbed. "Now, I'll never get to hold you again... I can never make you smile... It's all gone and I can't change it!"

Jacob chuckled softly. "I'm still alive. I'm just in a different place," he said. "You'll see me again. I would never leave you."

"But you have to... Dead people can't stay with the living," Ryan said.

Jacob shook his head. "You're right. I can't stay here. But I know you'll come to me in time. You have so much more to live for than just me. You can fight through and when the world decides you're ready it will send you to me. Then we'll be together again," he promised.

"No! I can't do it without you! You are my world! Without you it's a waste of time," Ryan said.

Jacob kissed his forehead. "It's not. Just remember me this way. See me here and now, and don't forget anything." He glanced behind him and turned back with a smaller smile. "I have to go now. I'm being called."

"No, don't leave me!" Ryan begged frantically. He reached out, but Jacob suddenly looked very far away.

He waved as he grew distant. "This just a nightmare. They don't last. Just wake up," he said.

"No! Jacob! Don't go, please! I don't want you to leave!" Ryan shouted and ran towards him, but he just got farther and farther away. He was shrinking out of Ryan's hands and Ryan screamed for him to wait.

Jacob only smiled. "It's just a nightmare. Wake up."

*******

Ryan sat up with a jolt. "Jacob..." he said, choking air. Ryan breathed in and out of his mouth like he hadn't breathed in ages. He looked down and saw he was sitting in a bed; it was a hospital bed. It was then that he noticed the lady next to him. "Who are you?" he asked.

"I'm a nurse," she said. "Are you okay? You were having, by the looks of it, a very bad nightmare."

Ryan wiped his sweaty neck and blinked several times to orient himself. "Where am I?" he asked.

"You're in a hospital. You've been out for a few hours," the woman explained. She started checking his pulse.

"How did I get here...?" Ryan asked.