Chapter 9

Today's the day I meet eyes with an abuser, today's the day my fate will be chosen, today's the day where both my sisters and I shut out all our emotions. we all become numb putting on a strong front. Today's the day we see Brandy and Mike, the decision for who gets to keep us is decided or hopefully shared custody at least for Heather since she's the youngest I'll soon be turning eighteen.

"Everything will be alright girls" my dad said, breaking the silence that we soaked in throughout the space of my dads silver SUV.

I looked at my sisters, Koda just shrugged, I could tell Heather was trying hard to contain her tears.

"I promise you everything will be okay." He said.

"Don't make promises that you can't keep." Koda said sternly.

"Look I know this is a scary thing, but all I can do is try, all you have to do is improve your attitude. Don't think negative thoughts, girls I'm scared too. I don't want to loose you. I sure as hell don't want you guys going back to them either." He explained

Heather let her silent sobs finally break loose she leaned into my shoulder sobbing I  wrapped my arms around her rubbing her shoulder.  Koda shrugged again glancing out her window. I looked at my dad through his rearview mirror he gave me a slight smile but I could see in his eyes that his words weren't convincing him either.

-

Single filed the three of us followed my dad into the court house. Before we walked into the courtroom an old maybe mid sixty aged grey facial hair balled head officer who was chewing gum quite vigorously had stopped us facing to speak to my dad.

"I'm sorry sir these girl need to stay out here." He said

"What?" Heather asked in panic

"I was told they were able to come in." My dad said frustrated.

"Your ex- their mother asked the judge if they can stay out, the judge thought for a moment that that idea was best for you an especially the girls." The officer explained.

"Fuck it, dad I'm taking us home." Koda yelled marching out of the large building.

"Koda wait!" Heather yelled running after her my dad about to take off too.

"It's probably best that we just go home, or maybe we will go out to lunch or something just call me when you're done ok." I looked him dead in the eyes fear, anger, an sadness swam through mercy waters within them, he nodded slowly then turned his back to Heather and I proceeding to deal with Brandy, I'am thankful I didn't have to see her or mikes face. I pray they lose.

-

"Hello?" I quickly drew my phone from my back pocket answering  my phone as the same ole blackbear ringtone blared through its tiny static sounded speakers, I had been nervously waiting pacing the house waiting for my dad to reach me but it wasn't my dad it was Lisa.

"Hey uh can we talk please..?" She sounded happy an scared at the same time.

"Yea what's up?" I paused the movie I was watching, it was the least I could do to try an settle my nerves.
I got comfortable expecting bad news considering it's always bad an always about Skylar.

"Uhm... So uh..-"

"Spit it out Lisa." I said standing up.

"Ok last week Skylar and I slept together." She said "stupid I know I spent days complaining about him then I go and have sex with him." She said her tone faltering to shame

"Are you guys back together?" I asked.

"No, but I did stay the night."

"So you texted him?"

"No, he texted me. He said that he needed some company so I came over it was one of the rare opportunities available cuz his buddies weren't there, I expected something to happen but I didn't think it would go all the way.. I figured a quick make out session then me leaving then he started kissing my neck an tou-"

"I don't need to hear details. Let me guess your feelings for him are stronger an you want to get back together with him?" I said

"I wanted to get back with him since he broke up with me. No my feelings didn't get stronger I learned to think that it was just a casual fuck then I move on." She said with a bit of sadness in her tone which we all know she won't just move on.

"So you don't want to sleep with him again? You aren't gonna blow up his phone? Or blow up mine because he's not giving you attention?" I asked

"Damn you know me so well!" She exclaimed in her annoying nasally high pitched tone.

"We are best friends what do you expect?" I chuckled "just be careful don't get attached because he called you over to fuck." I said

"I will try not to." She laughed "thanks for not blowing up on me about it."

"I never do."

"Alright well Ima go, talk to you later." She said cheerfully I ended the call and placed my hands on my face.. God she can be stupid sometimes. Can't blame her, if my ex hit me up to hang I wouldn't disappoint him either.

"Jay! Heather! Dads on the phone get up here quick!" Koda yelled from upstairs. I ran quickly besides Heather. We ran into Kodas room sitting on her bed her phone was on the speaker, Heather was the first to speak.

"So what happened dad?"

"Well sadly you guys will be with ur mom on the weekends" he said slowly

"What? but doesn't she live in Michigan?" Koda asked

"She moved here so she could see you guys." He said quietly

"That's  bullshit we all know what she's doing this for!" I yelled Heathers eyes started to fill with tears. Koda looked like she was deep in thought she had a fearful expression on her face. She was the only one who could decide what she wanted to do, knowing her she wasn't gonna let Heather an I suffer alone.

"Girls everything will be o-"

"Don't you dare say it will be Okay dad! You know it won't be when we go over there!" Koda yelled she was just as angry as me.

"Ok maybe it won't be, okay but we can't do anything about it, the decisions are made I'm sorry." He said

"I'll be home in a bit, but your mom wants to have a dinner." He choked on his words not bothering to give his opinion about it.

"She's really playing this off well. She probably thinks we're stupid." Koda muttered.

"I've gotta go girls I'll see you when I get home love you all so much." He said

"Bye." Koda said then hung up the phone we all looked at each other Heather didn't even bother holding her tears in. Koda pulled her into a hug letting her ball into her shoulder I decided for once I'd give my sisters a nice big hug. We all sat there hugging each other in our terrified, angry, upset atmosphere. We sulked in our sorrow waiting for our dad to get home to hug us all again.