Chapter 4

"How are you my lady?" Hugh asked as soon as I answered his call.

"I am okay, Hugh. Missed me already?" I asked teasing him.

"Well, kind of. Got no one to annoy here. And no one equally annoying," he said laughing. I could almost imagine his fierce but laughing eyes.

"I knew it! Your girls could not after all stand you when not in bed," I taunted.

"Ouch! That is so below the belt, Dani!" He blurted faking hurt in his voice.

"Whatever. I got to go, Hugh." I said to end the conversation.

"Got a date?" He asked.

How did he know?

"Not really. Just going to catch up with Jerome." I said waiting for his reaction that I could almost predict.

"You sound excited," he said in a bored tone.

"You sound jealous," I retorted smiling to myself.

I knew it. He would think that Jerome is a love interest and of course, he would want to shoo him away from me.

"Not as jealous as you get when you know that I have girls with me." Now he is trying to get back to my taunts.

"You wish. Bye!" I said as I ended the call.

My phone beeped notifying a new message received and I could not help but smile when I read it.

Hugh: You sound guilty, my lady. ;-)

I shook my head and started walking out of my room. I will have dinner with Jerome. We agreed to go at Baan Thai. I am craving for some authentic Thai food.

Jerome was already waiting for me in our garden. He smiled when he saw me come out of the house.

"Did I take so long?" I asked apologetically.

"It's okay baby girl. Was here for only about fifteen minutes. No worries," he said as we walked toward his car.

The drive was just short. It was just a few minutes when we got to the restaurant. Or was he just driving too fast? We made our orders and started chatting while waiting for our food.

"How often do you go home?" He asked.

"Lately just twice a month but I stay as much as I can. I miss my family always," I said taking a sip of my hot tea.

"I see. I am sure they miss you too... their one and only baby girl," he said smiling.

"I was thinking if I could go visit you in your condo some time. If that is okay with you actually. Would it be okay?" He then asked quite shyly.

"That would be fine. Just send me a message or call me if you are in the area," I answered.

"No, I mean I will visit you. I will go there to see you by choice and not just by some slight chance or by an unexpected opportunity," he said smiling.

I felt my cheeks turning red. Oh my I am blushing but I tried to just smile back.

As if in a movie, I am saved by our food. The waiter came to serve our orders. I have never been so thankful to waiters until now. I guess someone will get a big tip later.

We talked while eating. We were mostly sharing each other's life experiences while we were apart. We have been friends when we were kids but he went to the US with his whole family. He studied high school and college there and went home just a couple of months back to take over his grandfather's businesses.

Dinner went well.

"It is so nice to see you again and to have had that opportunity to spend time with you," Jerome said as he walked me to our front door.

"Thanks for tonight, Jerome. I had a good time," I said before turning to open the door.

He touched me lightly on the shoulder and I turned to look at him.

He smiled and said, "There is a next time right?"

I smiled back and nodded as I mouthed "Of course" before going inside the house and closing the door between us.

"Where have you been lady?" Hugh welcomed me looking at his watch. I was shocked and almost lost my grip on my bag.

"Easy. Are you guilty of something?" He asked doubtfully.

I told you he is more strict than my father. Well, it is a bit past midnight. Maybe that is why.

"What are you doing here?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"Well, I have a project nearby which I visited and decided to pass by your house to say hi." He answered without reprimanding me for changing the subject. That is new.

"I told you I was going out and you did not tell me that you were coming."

"It was unplanned," he muttered. "And I did not think that you would stay so late on a first date." He added shaking his head.

"Whatever, so are you staying?" I asked.

"Your Dad said I can sleep in the guest room," he said smiling. Well, my family loves him. They know that he is my hero.

"You want some coffee or beer? I think there is wine too," I said walking towards the mini bar.

"Just a bottle of beer before we sleep would be fine."

"Okay," I said as I got two bottles of ice cold San Mig Light.

"How was it?" Hugh asked.

"How was what?" I asked back innocently.

"Your date?"

"Here goes my over protective best friend," I said as I drunk my beer bottoms up.

"I do not even think that it was a date," I said taking a sip of my beer.

"Tell me about it," He demanded.

"Well, I told you, we just did some catching up," I said as I opened a bag of Lay's.

"How many hours to catch up?" He asked while getting a handful of potato chips from the bag.

"Stop being ridiculous, Hugh. Let us talk about something else. Not my sorry no love life story. What about you tell me about your latest adventures with your new girls?" I asked changing the topic.

"Now that is what is ridiculous. Stop being a baby and getting jealous, okay?" He said finishing the rest of his beer in one gulp.

And for a moment I was speechless. I find that the potato chips are so good so I just continued munching.