Chapter 12

I went to a nearby park with Jerome. We were talking and laughing. I figured I have to do it now. I am not sure if I will break his heart but I have to tell him.

"You seem bothered," he suddenly said.

How was he able to read my mind? Am I that transparent or do we have that connection already?

"Uh... not really, Jerome. I was just thinking how good a friend you are," I started.

I hate that my voice seem shaky.

"And you don't want us to be more than that," he finished for me.

He seemed not surprised. He was smirking though. Wow! That was easy.

"How did..." I was not able to finish what I was going to say.

He put his index finger on my lips to hush me.

"I can see it in your eyes. You want to know me better as a friend. And I can see it in your best friend's eyes that he would not let anyone else cross the line he has been guarding. Truth is he wants to be the one to cross that line. Believe me. He is guarding that line so that everything is clear when the right time for him to cross it comes," he said.

"I'm sorry," I said hugging him.

He hugged me back while whispering, "Don't be. At least you did not lead me on. Now you tell me baby girl, do you like Hugh too?"

Jerome caught me off guard with his question. I moved away from his hug and I opened my mouth to speak but I could not utter anything.

He laughed. "Now I know the answer, no need to elaborate," he said sounding very sure of what he is thinking.

And I guess he is right. Well, he is really really right.

I thought it would be so hard for me to confess to Jerome. I thought I would break his heart and he would ask for a chance for us.

I am so happy that we did not have a hard time talking though. We had lunch together and agreed to keep the friendship.

He drove me home and when I went inside the house I was surprised to see Hugh.

"Where have you been lady?" He asked as he stood up to give me a quick hug.

Uhm... Hugh was not this expressive before. He would tickle or pinch just to annoy me but not usually kiss nor hug to show concern. He would of course protect me or take care of me when I am drunk but just not on ordinary days.

He coughed as if to remind me of his existence and that he is actually waiting for an answer.

"I had lunch with Jerome," I said plainly.

I saw his eyebrow go up as if asking for an explanation on why I went out.

"Oh the lady is dating again," he blurted even before I could explain further.

And just before I can say anything again Hugh started walking towards the kitchen. Of course, I followed him.

Is he actually jealous? I felt happy because of that thought. I want him jealous because that means that Jerome is right. Hugh would want to cross the line and be on the more than friends side. Wohoo! Then it means that we are in this "we have feelings for each other" together. It would not be a one-sided love story. Two best friends falling for each other. Oh my!

"Why are you smiling lady? What happened on your date?" Hugh asked sternly while looking at me as if he is disgusted with what he is seeing.

I did not realize that I was actually smiling. Uh oh... If he only knows. I was of course fantasizing of us two being really together.

"Nothing. Are you actually jealous?" I asked bravely.

He shook his head. I am not sure if it means that he was not jealous or if it he meant to show that he has no words for me. He turned his back at me and got a glass of cold water from the fridge.

"Hugh, I was just teasing you. I had lunch with Jerome but we agreed that we are fine as friends and we want nothing more than that," I hurriedly said to stop the coldness.

He turned to look at me saying, "I am not asking."

But I am sure that he is just hiding a big smile of satisfaction... of relief. He heard what he actually wanted to hear. He could at least be honest. I was honest.

"Fine!" I said and turned my back to go to my room.

Before I could turn my door knob I felt a hug from my back. I did not know that he was actually following me.

"Thank you my lady," Hugh whispered and he kissed the top of my head.

And before I can say anything again he walked away and left.

Are we playing this chasing game now?

I went inside my room. I need serious thinking and figuring out what I really want to happen in my life. Love life to be exact. Ha! And my heart keeps on pounding.

This is something new to me. I am a girl after all. A lady. A woman. A she. Yes!