Chapter 20

Days went by so fast. After my hotel escapade for three nights and two days, I went home. I stayed in Laguna for three days before going back to BGC. I went out with Jerome to have brunch before leaving.

I was living my normal life. Or at least I am pretending that nothing heartbreaking happened to me.

---

The 18th birthday of our client is tonight. I usually do not stay in our events but since I have nothing better to do, I will sit in this one.

The theme is fairytale. Too girlish but that is what the birthday girl is. The debutante is so pretty in her light pink off-shoulder gown with sequins. Her long dark brown hair is braided with touches of pink extensions. She even has wings and a wand.

I did not think that in this era where technology is fast paced there is still a girl turning into a lady who would want a fairytale party. Others would choose a rock party, an Oscar's award night type, and maybe others would just choose to go out of the country with their family.

The venue is well decorated. Fuchsia pink, apple green, purple, and baby blue balloons are all over. There are three machines for the bubbles so that the whole night there are bubbles on the place. I cannot help but smile. To be young and vibrant. How nice.

Some cupcakes have a wand with a star icing, others have a princess, and the rest a prince charming. And her main cake has fairies on top.

The program started. There were about 150 guests including my team. The debutante's escort is indeed a prince charming.

I went to the powder room to freshen up. I am actually thinking of leaving already. I had an overdose of all the girly fantasy stuff and it makes me want to puke right now. I laughed in my mind.

When I went out of the powder room someone pulled me, holding both my hands tightly at my back and pushing me a bit as if directing me to move forward. I was about to open my mouth to ask what this is all about while attempting to look at the perpetrator's face when a hand covered my mouth. And this person seems to know the place as no other people are visible where he is leading me.

With the strength in holding me and covering my mouth, I already know that he is a he.

We were finally out of the venue.

"My lady, did I scare you? I am sorry. I just do not know how to get you to talk to me again if not forced like this," Hugh whispered as his hands suddenly enveloped my waist from the back.

He then leaned his head at the back of mine. I could feel his warm breath at the back of my neck and oh... are those hot tears?

I was frozen. After about a minute or two, I recovered. I started moving to get out of his embrace but he is stronger than me. He tightened his hug.

"Please my lady love. Listen to me," he said.

I shook my head and kept on moving trying to escape. How did he know that I was here? Well, of course my family and friends did not know about us... about what we have been through. They do not know his pretensions. They do not know that we were a couple until he broke my heart.

"Let me go," I said. I hate that my voice came out a bit shaky against the emotionless face I am projecting.

"No, please. Let us talk first," he pleaded.

"But I do not trust you anymore after all those years that we lived a lie," I said.

"That may be true or maybe not if you just hear me out," he replied and then he sighed.

"Not tonight, Hugh. Not tonight. I am not yet ready," I said.

And then I felt his embrace loosening up until he let me go. Then I heard his footsteps slowly fading as he walks away from me.

I sighed. I am not sure if I was relieved that he finally left me or disappointed that he just let me go that easily.

For the second time tonight I was frozen. I said I will never be affected by him ever again but I could not help it. My shoulders are now lightly shaking as I let the tears I suppressed earlier to fall down freely on my cheeks.

Slowly the heart I tried to rebuild in the past few days is now shattering into tinier pieces all over again.