Chapter 17

Days went by so fast. I have been busy with work and well, with my love life. I am now preparing as Hugh's date to their reunion.

I should in deed be the prettiest for Hugh is surely the handsomest and most popular in their batch. He is, by the way, on the other room also preparing for the said occasion. The reunion is a formal dinner at an exclusive clubhouse.

I wore my long royal blue dress and my three-inch peep-toe black shoes. I am brushing my hair and admiring the light make-up on my eyes and cheeks. The highlight of tonight's look is my luscious red lips. I smiled to myself.

I got my iPhone, wallet, and make-up pouch and put it inside my black Gucci purse, one that matches my shoes. I went in front of my full length mirror and admired my reflection. Fair enough I said to myself. I got the bottle of Versace Bright Crystals and spritz behind my ears, on my wrists, and at the back of my neck. I also put it in my purse.

Hugh knocked. Oh my! Are we going to be late already? I have no accessories yet.

I opened the door and I saw his jaw drop when he saw me. I smiled and took in how handsome my date is tonight. He is wearing a powder blue shirt inside his navy blue tux. I bit my lower lip.

"So gorgeous, my lady," he said as he handed me a box.

"You are so handsome yourself," I said blushing.

I opened the box and found matching Channel earrings, ring, and pendant.

"Wow! You did not have to," I said as I admired how beautiful the jewelries are.

"I want to, my pretty lady," he said as he got the necklace and put it on my neck and for the second time he put a ring on my ring finger. I wore the earrings.

"Perfect!" He said and kissed me on the forehead.

We went in front of the full length mirror and admired how good we look together. We did not really pre-agreed to both wear blue. Great minds think alike. Hearts in love feel alike. Whatever; I know. We took several selfies.

"Nice," I said smiling as I made one of our photos my screensaver and wallpaper.

He smiled as he showed me that he did the same. I did not notice that he took photos using his cellphone too.

It was over an hour drive to the venue. Well, should have been only thirty minutes but because of the infamous traffic in the Philippines, travel time really doubles.

---

"Let us welcome the batch's most popular hunk and heartthrob, Architect Hugh Gutierrez and his beautiful date, Ms. Dani Ramirez," the emcee announced as we entered the venue.

We both smiled and waved to those who cheered to welcome us. We then proceeded to the photo booth where souvenir photos were taken before we were seated at our table.

Hugh introduced me to his batchmates who were seated with us. Two are married already while three have their partners as well. Our group in the table easily went along. I was chatting to the petite woman beside me, the girlfriend of Hugh's batchmate.

The program started with a prayer and a welcome address by the organizer, their Student Council President in their senior year. We shared a sumptuous dinner right after the welcome speech was delivered.

There was a dance number performed by their dance troupe and a beautiful rendition of Thinking Out Loud by their chorale.

There is a live band who performed the whole night. The dance floor was opened and couples started swaying toward it.

"Shall we dance, my lady?" Hugh asked offering his right hand.

I smiled as I took it and we went to join the crowd on the dance floor.

The band performed Sam Smith's Stay with Me. Hugh wrapped his arms around my waist and I put my hands on his shoulders. I rested my head on his chest and we danced gracefully.

This is our first dance. I can hear that his heart is thumping, perhaps as fast as if not faster than mine. I am hoping that the next song will be slow or sweet so that we can continue dancing close to each other.

"I love you my pretty lady. Always... always put that in mind. And please stay with me forever," he said as he kissed the top of my head.

"I love you too," I said and raised my head so that I am staring straight at his beautiful eyes.

Those eyes... I wonder why they seem nervous now.

He smiled at me and my paranoia vanished. Do you know that feeling that when your loved one smiles at you or hugs you, all your fears and doubts vanish?

The smile, hug, or whatever sweet gesture becomes the reassurance that everything will be okay.

My wish was granted, we danced to another song and then we went back to our table. He waved to the waiter to ask for water for both of us.

Some of the successful individuals, including Hugh, gave a little speech. I clapped loudly after Hugh shared how he became what he is now. He even mentioned that I am his inspiration from then until now. I feel my cheeks burning.

Everyone was cheering after his short speech and they were looking intently at us as Hugh went back to the table.

As if we were newly married, they were chanting "kiss... kiss... kiss..." to which we obliged. The shortest and sweetest kiss.

We stayed for a while and stood up to go when others started leaving also.

On our way out there were two familiar guys that gave me the creep. Weird is that they are both smiling towards us.

One of them patted Hugh on the shoulder. I felt him tighten his hold on my hand.

"Hey hot shot! I can't believe that it still the two of you after all those years. Your hero act really paid off. You got to thank us for our acting skills," one of the guys said and they both laughed madly.

And then it was slowly sinking in to me... they were the two boys messing up with me back then. So it was all planned?! Why? I was confused. I was broken. My hero actually plotted that scene???

Then I guess there are really no heroes in real life. All actors playing along the script. I hate it!

Hugh pushed them, reason why he unconsciously let go of my hand. I took that very chance to run away. I heard him shouting my name while running after me.

"Wait for me my lady. Let me explain!" He shouted.

I shook my head and run faster. Good thing I was fit enough to run with my three-inch shoes.

Luckily there was a taxi nearby. I waved furiously while running towards it. I got inside. Tears run down my cheeks. I wonder why Hugh did this. What is his plan? I should have known that it was too good to be true. He is evil! He used me!

But why?