Chapter 15

"How are you, sweetheart?" Mom asked. I went home this weekend since next weekend I have a reunion to attend to.

"I am good, Mom," I said as I sat on the sofa beside her.

I asked Hugh to keep our relationship a secret to our families first. Not really a secret but we won't tell them just yet.

They know that we are best friends and I don't want them over reacting or freaking out once they know that we have developed a deeper relationship.

At first, he did not want my suggestion since he said that he wanted to profess to the world how much he loves me but with much convincing he later on agreed. I told him that we just need the right timing. Am I just paranoid since this is really my first?

Mom gave me a quick hug and went back to her reading. I rested my head on her shoulder and she gave me a pat.

"Anything wrong, darling?" She asked looking up from her magazine.

I smiled and shook my head.

"I am just tired. I better go to my room," I said and gave her a peck on the cheek.

I instantly called Hugh when I got in my room. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hello my lady," he said cheerfully.

"I am home already. I miss you," I said looking at my reflection on the mirror.

I can see a different glow in my eyes. I guess that's what love can really do.

"I miss you more. Wish I were there with you but I got to supervise the final polishing of the building that is due to open next month."

"Wow! My boyfriend is such an achiever. Congratulations on another successful project my love," I said. I cannot help but be proud of him.

"You have always been my inspiration, my lady love," he said and I felt my heart go wild.

We chatted for a few more minutes and then I said goodbye so that he could prepare for work and I told him that I will rest first as I got tired driving. He told me that I should get an on-call driver for long drives at least.

I must have fallen asleep soon after I talked with Hugh. I was awakened by light rapping on my door. I got up and opened the door while scratching my still sleepy eyes.

"Time for lunch," Brian said. I miss this cute bear. I instantaneously hugged him and he quickly stepped back. I laughed.

"I will follow. I have just woken up," I said.

I freshened up and changed to comfortable clothes and then went to the dining area to join my family for lunch.

Mom had my favorites prepared - garlic buttered prawns, grilled stuffed squid, and buffalo wings. I am always spoiled like this when I am at home because they know that I mostly eat out and a home-cooked meal is always better. And Hugh must have told mom that I sometimes skip meals.

"Wow!" I said as I sat next to Mom in the dining area. Dad and Brian have started eating. Richard was not able to go home.

I first had my corn soup (cooked from scratch - grated corn). It is yummy! Mom really knows how to cook but we also have one house help who do the cooking with her.

"Thanks for this feast, Mom," I said as I filled my plate with prawns and squid. I will be eating the buffalo wings on my second plate. Good thing I am able to maintain a fit body. Not that I am really conscious about it anyway.

---

Weekend flew by so fast. It is now Monday morning and I have just finished taking a bath. I went out of my room to have breakfast and then I have to go back to BGC already.

To my surprise, Hugh was eating breakfast with Mom and Dad.

"Good morning, lady," he said smiling.

"Hey, I didn't know you were coming," I said and sat next to him.

"Hugh said that he knows how you get tired easily nowadays after long drives so he went here to drive for you," Dad said looking up from his newspaper.

"But how about my car?" I said as I got a croissant and put it on my plate.

"Well, sweetheart, he went here riding a bus," Mom said smiling.

I looked at him. I am overwhelmed by his act of sweetness. He winked at me and continued eating.

"Wow! Always my hero," I whispered to him.

I imagined Hugh riding a bus. For real, when was the last time he commuted?

After breakfast, we took a rest for about an hour just watching TV. We then said our goodbye to my parents.

"I love you," Hugh said giving me a quick kiss on the lips as soon as we got out of the house and in to the car.

He held my hand as he drove.

"Oh, thank you so much my hero. I love you more, " I said and gave his hand small kisses.

He let go of my hand and caressed my face. I am so in love with my best friend.

What more surprises await me? I wonder. This boy is such a sweetheart.