Chapter 23

I decided to pay that pseudo-hero a visit.

I am now outside the door of Hugh's room in the hospital. I am trying to contain my mixed up emotions of rage, love, care, longing, and hatred.

When I enter this room, the moment of truth will unfold. If this is yet another of his acting stints, we are definitely totally irrevocably over. I will be crushed even more than I am already at this point.

Now, if he is really sick, I would have to face him. Maybe even care for him because I really do still care for him no matter how mad I am at him and that would lead us to talking things out. And the talking might lead to explaining and then patching up to reunite... to rekindle. Who knows?

I took a deep breath before knocking softly and then turning the knob to open the door. Which is the lesser evil? To end or to begin again?

No one was even looking after him. This brat may have not even told his parents or siblings that he is sick. Goodness!

He is lying still on the hospital bed. His dextrose slowly dripping to sustain him. I went near him. He is a mess. He is pale and he is thinner now. He has deep eyebags and his lips are cracked. Hair all over his face. What the hell happened to him? Looks like he is really sick.

Now would I not be able to deliver my remorse speech? My heart is beating so fast. I am pained seeing him like this. Did I do this to him? If only I let him explain he would have not resorted to drinking and stalking me... forgetting about caring for himself. I know, regret is really at the end but hey this is not the end yet, right?

I sat on the chair beside his bed. Unconsciously, my hand reached for his. I held him for who knows how long. I felt tears run down my cheeks. I prayed for his fast recovery.

I might have fallen asleep holding his hand. I was awakened when I felt he gently squeezed my hand. I looked up and saw him give a faint smile.

"Are you okay? What happened to you? Have you lost your mind? Did I..." I was interrupted from my seemingly never ending interrogation.

"Sssh my lady love. Relax. I am okay now that you are here," Hugh said trying to sit down.

I helped him and adjusted his bed so that he is comfortable sitting down. I noticed that his face changed. He is all smiles now. Hmmm... don't tell me that this hospitalization is a scam... is again a drama.

"Hey, why are you smiling like an idiot? Is this another of your well written plots?" I was not able to control myself from asking.

His smile faded but the glow in his eyes is still there. He started talking, "No my lady. I really got sick. I was a bastard I know. An obsessed freak. I am sorry. I just got so into you. I am smiling like an idiot now because it seems like you missed me too. I am just so thankful for your concern. Maybe you still love me. Oh God knows how much I missed you my lady love."

He then closed his eyes as if he got tired from his long statement. Oh no... should I call a nurse? I leaned to look at him closely and check if he is okay. He might have a relapse or something.

I suddenly felt his hand pulling me towards him. The obsessed freak kissed me. He is sick but he had the strength to melt me once again. I felt him smile in between our kisses. Yes, I kissed him back. I kissed back the bastard!

You might think that I am crazy for letting him win just like that. Or crazy that I did not let him explain before and had to go through this just to open my eyes.

"Well, mister do not push your luck. We are not finished just yet. You still have a lot of explaining to do. But that could wait until you are okay. Please get well, my hero. I will not run away ever again. So rest well and sleep first," I said after our kissing sesh.

I still love him. We are worth another chance.

He smiled. "Thank you my love," he said before falling asleep again.

I watched him sleep. He looks better now. I am happy that we would soon be okay. Yes, I am quite sad too that I was the reason for his condition now. But I was also a victim here. I just got so hurt. At least after this we will talk and together we will pick up the pieces of our broken relationship, which hopefully we can mend the right way.