Chap. 16

1 MONTH LATER

Practice went on for a full month. It was get up, get dressed, go to practice, listen to Taylor bull shit, pray to go home, go home and practice a little in the small shed in the back. Sometimes Harry would go to the bathroom and a person that worked in the arena would come in and Taylor would make fun of them and Harry would come back and the worker would explain what happened then Taylor would give her puppy dog face and lie saying she didn't and Harry walked away with Taylor in his arms. We all know that ment he believed Taylor. On the weekends it was hang out, practice, sleep all day, stay up all night and talk to my mom and text Zara, than repeat. The concert wasn't that far away. It was almost Christmas. It was the weekend. I call my mom. "Hello?" She said. "Hey mom!" "Hi honey!" I smiled. "How's practice?" "Great! The concert is coming up soon and I've made some money and I've saved it up so I can fly you up here and watch me." "Sounds great honey! Hey I have to go. Remember this. You are living your dream and I'm happy for you. Just remember, if those paparazzi and people who do your make up and the people around you try and change you, don't let them. You are April Jean Waterson. The best violinist in the world." "I won't I love you. I'll see you soon." "I'll see you soon! I love you too! Bye!" I hung up and went to bed. I woke up the next day and saw 15 texts from Zara. "A.J. Its your mother. Answer as soon as you can." I tried calling but Zara didn't answer. I paced back and forth in my room. I stopped and breathed. "Maybe its great news." I sad to myself. I did my usual stuff and waited till night came. Once it did, I called Zara and she answered. She was crying. "A.J. Its your mom. They don't know if she'll make it. You have to come over as soon as possible." I sat my phone down and put it on speaker. I grabbed my suitcase and started to throw clothes in. "Ok. What happened!?" I said. She started to cry again. "Zara. Zara. I know its hard but I need you to cooperate with me. What happened? Tell me every detail." Zara took in a deep breath. "She was driving home right after she hung up the phone with you and she sat her phone down and didn't pay attention and a drunk driver hit her head on. They found her unconscious and raced her to the hospital. She may not make it. You have to get over here as soon as possible." "Ok. I'll call for a plane." I hung up and called Dave. "Hello?" He moaned. "Dave. I need the private plane as soon as possible. Its my mom. She needs me." I heard him get up. "Ok. I'll be over in a sec." I grabbed my spiral violin and suit case and raced down stairs. I texted Liam. "I won't be in Monday or Tuesday. Had to go back to the states for an emergency." I heard the car and I put my stuff in and explained on the way to the airport what happened. We got to my private plane and I got on and flew over the ocean. I prayed for my mom to live. I need her she is my supporter and she has a way with words to make me feel better and she is my number one fan. I fell asleep. When I woke up, it was morning. We landed and I grabbed my suitcase and had a taxi drive me back to my house. I went into my room and sat my suitcase down on my bed. I changed into my moms favorite shirt that I wore a lot around her. It's pink with sparkling black swirls, jean shorts with leggings and my air walks. I threw my hair in a pony tail as I called a cab to take me to the hospital. Once at the hospital I called Zara. She answered. "Where are you? I'm at the hospital." I said. I saw her on her phone walk out of a door. I ran over as hugged her. "I missed you!" I said. "I missed you too! You need to get in there now!" Zara said. She shoved me in the dim room. She laid in bed motionless. "Mom?" I said. She motioned me come over to her. I sat next to her and held her hand. She was pale and weak. "Mom?" I whispered. She smiled. "Hi darling. How are you?" She said weakly. "I'm ok. How are you?" I said. "I'm good." She replied. She touched my face as I held the back of her hand. "Right after the funeral, I need you to go straight back to the U.K. and perform." I looked up at her. Tears started long down my face. "No. Don't say that! You will make it! You have to be there to support me. You were there with me every step of the way." "And now it's time for you to take those steps by yourself." "You're not going to die! You are going to watch me play and-" she cut me off. "Honey. Ill still be there with you. You won't see me but I'll be there." "No!" Tears came out faster. "Darling, ill be there. Don't be stubborn please. You will perform at the concert and you will show them what April Jean Waterson can do! My will is with the doctor." I kissed her hand and had trouble breathing. She looked up at the ceiling. "I can see Gods face!" I looked up at her. "Mom! I love you! Don't go!" I screamed. "I love you too. Keep your necklace close to you. Show them what you can do. Do it for me!" Her eyes closed. "Mom! No! Stay please!" I knew the heart monitor was behind me. I listened as the beeping slowed down. I didn't hear anything for a while. I turned slowly at the monitor and saw the number wishing it would kick back up but never did and never would again. Zero.