26: 1950s Centerfold

June 26, 1957

I saw the car Elvis was in pull up in front of Graceland and my heart dropped. My hands were on the window sill as I peered down to the driveway. The back door opened and I saw Elvis' black hair.

I turned away and walked to the padded bedroom door. I quietly opened it and quietly closed it behind me. I waited there, straining to hear any conversation downstairs when Elvis entered.

"Wow," was the first thing I heard him say. "It looks great."

"Yeah son. It does," Vernon said. "Elvis you tell me right now. Did you do something to Lizzie." Vern strictly questioned his son.

"What are you talking 'bout pop?"

"I think you know exactly what I'm talkin bout. That girl hasn't been herself since she got here. What did you do."

"Nothin. Just a little argument." Elvis said. "I don't wanna talk about it. How about a 'welcome home'?" Elvis asked, annoyed. Vernon sighed. "Welcome home." Then I heard footsteps going farther and farther away.

I took this chance and appeared at the top of the stairs. I saw Elvis looking down at his shoes with his arms crossed. He looked up at me and he smiled.

All angry and sad feelings I had towards him vanished. It was like I tore off my angsty mask I had created for myself since I had last seen him.

"Liz," he said with a grin. "Your...hair..." 

"Do you like it?" I asked and picked up strands of my brown hair and twirled it in my hands. "I did it for you."

He smiled again. He dropped his luggage and I jogged down the stairs to him and ran into his embrace. His arms wrapped tightly around me as our lips connected for the first time in awhile. A month to be exact.

"I missed you." He said against my lips. "And I'm sorry." He kissed me again. I kissed him harder to show I didn't care. In fact, I wanted him. Right then and there.

I guess he sensed it, or possibly he wanted me too because he picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist. He began up the stairs and turned to his room. He opened the door and closed it behind him with his foot.

He gently set me on the huge bed and hovered over me. "I love it." He said. "You're hair, I mean.

I grinned. "Thanks." I said. Elvis stood and walked over to the door. "I should lock this." He said as he slid the lock.

***

Later on, we laid in each others arms covered in sweat. My head was on his chest. His hair was disheveled.

"Yknow," Elvis said while twirling strands of my hair. "We are finally here. Together. In our own house. I told you-we'd do it. Now here we are." He said. I smiled even though he couldn't see my face.

He planted a kiss on the top of my head. "Finally." I joked. He chuckled.

After a few moments of silence he spoke again. "I'm really sorry. About the other day. Well a month ago. I shouldn't have yelled. Or punched the wall. I'm sorry." He said.

I kissed his chest. "It's okay." I replied.  "Don't be sorry. You're the only one I love." I lied. I did love Johnny. I couldn't help it.

I rolled off of Elvis and laid on my back. I pulled the sheets up high enough to cover my bare chest. Elvis got up and pulled on his boxers.

My eyes went to the red lines on his back. Were those from me?

"Elvis?" I asked.

"Hm?" He turned around and looked at me. "Those lines on your back, uh, sorry." I said. He shrugged. "I don't mind. It shows I'm yours I guess."