Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“I am sorry Ms. Driscoll, but your parents are dead.” The state trooper, sitting across from me, stated. I looked at him, not quite understanding. “We found their remains in the woods off interstate eighty seven. It looked like they were attacked by some sort of animal or animals.  Wolves or bears, most likely.” I was in shock. They were going camping, they can’t be dead. I thought. “I will need to ask you a few questions, to clear this case…” the trooper added. I feel a tear slip down my cheek. The rest of the interview went by in a blur, the trooper trying to figure out how they got there, where their car was, and why I wasn’t with them. I guess my answers satisfied them, they let me go home. I am totally alone now. They were all I had.

I woke up curled against Kyle’s chest, wrapped in a blanket and his arms.

“Hey, sleepy-head.” He said softly.

“How long have I been out?” I asked.

“You missed practice. Aiden is on her way here, to get you home. Pete covered for you so everything is cool there.” Kyle stated. “and I am your new room mate.” He slid in quietly.

“What? Who the hell made that decision?” I snapped. “Shouldn’t I have been asked first?”

“It was Vash’s call. He doesn’t want you to be alone for a while, and considering, I can’t disagree.” Kyle said, honestly.

“Vladimir wants you, and if he can’t have you, he will kill you so no one can.” A voice from behind me said.

I looked over Kyle’s shoulder and noticed the man the voice came from. I remember him introducing himself.

“You’re Zeke, the guy interested in Aiden” I responded. He looked impressed that I had remembered, and I think he started to blush a little. He does actually fit Aiden’s description. Brown hair and serious brown eyes and strong handsome features that would make any girl sigh, not to mention his rock hard body. I would like to see him smile. His stern demeanor does not suit him.

“Ivy!” I heard Aiden yell. “Where are you?”

“Over here.” Zeke responded.

Aiden came running, almost frantic. “Are you ok? What happened? I got to your class at eleven fifteen and the room was empty, and you were no where to be found.”

“Um, I don’t remember much.” I said hesitantly. “I was assaulted by a guy from class, got away, and ran into the woods…” I faltered, looking at Zeke, hoping he would take over.

“Who was it! I’ll kick his butt!” Aiden spat.

“Not necessary, Kyle took care of it. He is now officially my hero!” I said softly, smiling. Looking at Kyle, I saw he was blushing. “I guess we should get going.” I stated, getting to my feet, grasping the hand proffered by Zeke. As I stood, my head started to spin, and blackness crept into my vision. I felt strong arms go around me, and I again found myself in Kyle’s arms.

“Let me carry you, if anything would happen to you, Vash would kill me.” Kyle said.

We made our way to my car, where Kyle put me into the passenger seat. Going around the driver’s side, Kyle slid behind the wheel of my crappy, blue sedan. I realize I could have gotten something new, but I liked this one, it fit like an old pair of jeans. Plus it was paid off. Who wants more debt? Not me.

I gave Kyle directions to my house, and we were off.  First we stopped at his place and picked up some of his clothes and toiletries. Then we headed to my place. The drive took about twenty minutes, during which we didn’t speak; we just sat in a comfortable silence. I’m sorry I didn’t get to you in time, Ivy. Kyle sent to me. I glanced at him, and smiled. It wasn’t your fault; you are not responsible for the actions of others. I am just thankful you were there to stop him. I do not expect other people to take care of me. I have been on my own for a while now.