chapter 13

Rose

The week passed by slowly. It was Thursday, and I was at work, bored out of my mind. Cristiano had called me yesterday to ask me if I wanted to watch them train, but I couldn’t. I worked the entire week, but thankfully I had weekends off. I hadn’t seen Cris since the disastrous double date. I was meeting Mesut for dinner tomorrow night, he had told me this date was going to be much more casual than our last one.

Valerie and I had the same shift every day, so we usually drove home together, but today she was spending the night with her boyfriend so I was going to be all alone tonight. I wasn’t the type of person who liked being alone, I was very social. I didn’t need to be surrounded by people constantly, but I also didn’t like just staying home at night with nothing to do. I decided to call Cris before I left work to see if he wanted to hang out.

“Hello?” He picked up.

“Hey, it’s Rose. What are you doing right now?”

“Nothing much, I’m at home.”

“Are Irina and Junior home?”

“Nah, Irina went to New York today for a few days and Junior’s off on a play date with his grandma.”

“So you’re going to be home alone for the next hour or so?”

“Yeah, why, do you want to come over?”

“Mhm, Val’s not going to be home tonight, so I figured I could just hang out with you for a bit?”

“Yeah, sure. I feel like I haven’t seen in you in forever.”

I smiled. “Cris, it’s only been a couple of days.”

“I guess I just got used to seeing you every day.”

“I’ll be there in fifteen.” I said, hanging up.

I got in my car, deciding to just skip going home to change and just go straight to Cristiano’s house. He was right, once you got used to seeing someone a lot, not seeing them for three days felt like forever. Besides, my work clothes weren’t hideous or anything.

It took me about twenty minutes to get to Cristiano’s house from the Chanel store, there was light traffic. He had his entire house fenced off, and I had to call him to tell him to open the gates to let me in. He met me outside his house with a hug, holding on for a few seconds.

“How’ve you been?” He asked me, pulling me into the living room.

“Pretty good, actually. What about you? You all ready and pumped for the game this Saturday?”

“Yeah, it’s at home, so we have to win. The fans will have our heads if we lose at home. You’re coming, right? I got you and Val tickets.”

I nodded. “Oh wow, thank you so much.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“Isn’t Irina going to be there?”

“Yeah. Pretend to be Mesut’s guests,” he smiled at me. “I’m sorry about the way she was on Saturday, she just gets jealous easy.”

“It’s alright. I probably should have known she wouldn’t like me. Anyway, Mesut is taking me out tomorrow to make up for it.”

“Really?” He looked surprised. Or maybe that was jealousy? I couldn’t read him very well. “What are you guys doing?”

“I’m not sure yet, all I know is we’re having dinner and I don’t have to dress up super fancy.”

“Do you like him?” Cris asked me, his face blank.