chapter 14

Rose

I woke up to the sound of my phone. Groaning, I looked to see who it was.

“Cris, you have the worst timing,” I said as I answered it, trying to sit up on my bed.

“Were you asleep?” He asked, whispering.

“Yeah. Why are you whispering?”

“Irina’s home. I’m hiding out in the bathroom.”

Oh, great. Wonderful Irina was back. “So what’d you wake me up for?”

“I just wanted to know how the date with Mesut went.”

“It was really great, he was the perfect gentleman the entire night.”

“Did I interrupt something when I called last night? He sounded pretty pissed.”

“Kind of. We were making out.”

“Oh wow, sorry.” He said with a little laugh.

“As I said, you have really bad timing Cristiano.”

I heard something fall, then crying. “I have to go, Junior broke something. I’ll see in a few hours at the game, right?”

“Yeah, bye Cris.”

He hung up. I got up to get breakfast and Valerie was sitting in the kitchen.

“I made pancakes,” she said.

“Thanks,” I said. “You’re the best roommate ever, I swear.”

She smiled. “I’d say the same thing about you. What time is the game?”

I poured myself some coffee. “Um, around five I think?”

We ate breakfast together, just talking and watching TV. I had never realized how great it was to have a girl friend. I had never really had a best girl friend, I was much closer to the boys in my life. Maybe it was because I was so obsessed with football, but I wasn’t a tomboy or anything. I did my makeup everyday and cared about how I looked. I guess I just never got along with other girls until I met Val.

“Are you doing anything today?” She asked me, as I did the dishes.

“Nah, I was just going to stay home until the game. What are you doing?”

“Well, I was just going to hang out with my boyfriend here today.”

“Oh, do you want me to leave?” I said, not wanting to be in the apartment in case they…you know.

She laughed. “No, we’re just going to watch a movie or something. And you should meet him.”

“Oh, alright.” I put the last dish in the dishwasher, and then wiped down the counter. “So what’s he like?”

She began describing her boy to me, and we spent at least an hour just talking. I put on some music and we cleaned the apartment, because it seriously needed a good cleaning. Thankfully, Val had the same music taste as me, so there were no arguments on the music. We were messing around, singing, when the doorbell rang.

“That’s probably him.” She said, skipping to the door. I checked my phone for the time, it was already eleven.

She brought him to the living room and introduced us. His name was Josh, and wow, he was cute. We talked for a little bit, but then I went into my room. I didn’t really want to be the third wheel.

I spent the rest of the day in my room, just catching up on my favourite TV shows on my laptop. Val and I drove to the game in my car, Cris had gotten us pretty good seats again. Thankfully, we weren’t in the box with Irina and Junior. The Bernabau was an incredible stadium, it was so full of life and it was amazing being surrounded by other people who loved football as much as I did.