chapter 30

I’m so sorry it’s so short, this story is coming to an end unfortunately :((( There’s probably going to be one or two more chapters and it’ll be over. -Gaby!xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------f

Cristiano

I walked into training with a smile on my face, a day after I had spent the night with Rose. She was finally mine. After everything that had happened, she chose me. I couldn’t imagine loving somebody more than this.

I positioned myself next to Xabi and started warming up. We were doing some basic stretching when Mesut walked in with Sami. He came next to me and stepped into a lunge.

“So how is she?” He asked me after a while.

“What?” I replied, unsure of how he knew about me and Rose.

“I haven’t spoken to Rose in a while. I figured she must have been with you. How is she?” He asked again.

“She’s good. Much better now, actually.”

“I heard about her little escapade at that party.” He turned to face me. “Cristiano, have I hurt her that bad?”

“It’s not all you, Mesut. There were a lot of things going on in her life. She’s doing much better now though, don’t worry.”

He nodded, averting his gaze back down to the ground. The rest of training went fairly well, and Mesut and I left on good terms.

Rose                           

I sat in the stands, waiting for Cristiano to finish training. He hadn’t noticed me, which was good. I was hoping to surprise him after he came out of the dressing room.

If I was being honest with myself, the only reason I came to see them train was to see if I had ruined Cristiano’s and Mesut’s friendship. They looked to be on good terms, though, which made me smile. I was happy there was at least one thing I hadn’t permanently damaged.

“Hi.”                                                                     

I startled in my seat, turning to my side to see a very sweaty and red Mesut. “Mesut…I didn’t realise you could see me from here.”

“Only if you really looked.” He said, tucking my hair behind my ear. “How are you, Rose?”

“I’m alright. I’ve been good.”

“Good. That’s good.” He said, looking at his feet.

We sat in awkward silence for a few minutes, neither of us looking at each other. I had no idea how to break his heart for what seemed like the millionth time.

“I love you,” he finally whispered, looking at me, his eyes piercing mine. He held my gaze, and I was unable to look away. My heart twisted in pain hearing him say those words. “But it’s him, isn’t it? It was always Cristiano.”

I nodded, a tear escaping my eye and rolling down my cheek agonizingly slowly. I couldn’t move, Mesut’s gaze held me in place, keeping me in a suspended state of pain. I couldn’t bear to do this to him, he didn’t deserve it!

“I’m so sorry, Mesut.” I garbled through tears. “I am so, so sorry.”

“I know.” He said, leaning in to kiss me.

His mouth met mine, and I relaxed as he rubbed his thumb along the back of my neck. We both knew this was the last time. The very last time, and we tried to make it last. As long as we could, we both knew we had tried to make it last.

Maybe some things aren’t meant to be; maybe some things shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Maybe I shouldn’t have agreed to meet Mesut in the first place. Maybe I shouldn’t have agreed to a date with Mesut. From the very first date with Mesut, I had always known it was Cristiano’s arms around me that I preferred. Yet I had kept going with Mesut. For what?

Now it was over, and there was agony written all over his face.                                   

I couldn’t stand it anymore. I couldn’t see him in pain. So, like the coward that I am, I got up and ran out of the stadium.