chapter 18

Cristiano

I looked up and saw the stars. It had been four days since I had last spoken to Rose, four days since we had made love, four days since I had lost her. Mesut still talked me as if everything were normal, so I was guessing she hadn’t told him. I was laying in my backyard on a blanket, watching Junior kick around a ball. He had skill, just like his father.

I wanted to call Rose, to see her, but I had no idea what I would say to her. I’m sorry I’m in love with you? It wasn’t going to change anything, she was still going to choose Mesut. He made her happy, why couldn’t I just let them be?

I picked up my phone to call her, I was desperate to talk to her. It rang for a while and I was about to hang up when she answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Cris,” I said.

“Oh…hey, how’ve you been?” She clearly didn’t want to be talking to me.

“I’ve been alright. Are you coming to the game tomorrow against Valencia?”

“Mhm, Mesut invited me and Valerie’s going for Sergio.”

“Oh. So they’re a thing now?”

“Yeah, they’re kind of cute actually. Did you call just to ask if I was going tomorrow?”

“I just…I wanted to talk to you.”

“Cris,” she sighed. “I’ll see you tomorrow. I’ll be with Mesut.”

She hung up.

Rose

Valerie was driving us to the match against Valencia. I hadn’t talked to Cris for a week, except for that awkward phone call yesterday. I didn’t know what to say to him if I saw him today, which I probably would.

Val and I had amazing seats again, courtesy of Mesut. I wondered what he would do if he ever found out about what had happened between Cris and me. I couldn’t tell him, every time I was with him all I could think about was how sweet he was to me. I didn’t want to hurt him, he didn’t deserve it.

The match was exciting, Real Madrid dominated the entire first half, scoring five goals in quick succession. Cristiano scored two, and Mesut helped bring about all of the five goals. The match ended 5-0, and the Bernabau was ecstatic. It looked like our luck was finally turning around.

I met Mesut at his car after the match, and he swooped me into a kiss.

“Congratulations!” I squealed.

He grinned, I had never seen him smile so wide before “Playing today felt amazing, I think the team is getting much better.”

“You played amazing,” I said, kissing him again. “I’m so proud,”

“Most of us are going to Cristiano’s house to celebrate, do you want to come or do you want to go do something else?” He asked, his hands around my waist.

“Let’s go to Cristiano’s, Valerie’s going too.” I couldn’t avoid Cris forever.

He nodded, and we got into his car. Mesut was a much better driver than I could ever be. We were there soon, and before we got out of the car, Mesut kissed me again, this time with more passion. His hands roamed down my back, along my arms, through my hair.

“I love you too,” I whispered.

He stopped, then pulled away, looking at me with a huge grin on his face.

“You are amazing.” He stated.

I smiled. It was true, I loved Mesut. We were good together.

“Shall we?” He asked, getting out of the car and opening my door for me.