Chapter 6 | Butterflies

It amazed Jongin how Kyungsoo managed to stay entertained by his iPod until his shift ended. There wasn't much on it besides a few hundred songs, ten or so games, and maybe two movies. But Kyungsoo seemed so submerged and enticed by the thing and if he was being honest, Jongin found it to be rather adorable. Periodically during his training sessions, Jongin would glance over at the smaller male to see him swaying to whatever song he was listening to or stomping his feet on the ground most likely out of frustration that a game caused him. 

He wasn't sure why, but every single time Kyungsoo would catch a glimpse of him, too and send a wave in his direction, the faintest of grins would appear on Jongin's face.

"How was work, Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked, skipping alongside him as they headed back to his car later that afternoon.

"It was fine," Jongin answered with no distinct emotion in his voice, the pace of his feet keeping him ahead of Kyungsoo.

"Do you enjoy working?" he questioned next and Jongin internally groaned, already starting to become annoyed with his questions.

"No, I don't enjoy working," he said in response, letting out a sigh as he lifted up his keys and pointed them at his car in order to unlock it. He pulled on the door handle of the backseat and opened the door, tossing his gym bag into the back before turning around, closing it, and saying to Kyungsoo, "Any more questions you want to ask me?"

Kyungsoo's eyes went narrow and his lips pursed as he thought. "Nope," he said after a minute, putting extra emphasis on the p sound as he twisted his torso and smiled cheekily, "I do not think so." Jongin gave him a little nod and was just about to get in the car when Kyungsoo spoke again. "Oh, wait," Kyungsoo said, pausing right in front of the now opened passenger's side door and making Jongin do the same. "I do have another question for you, Jongin."

"Well, what is it?" Jongin said, feeling slightly impatient.

"Would it be alright if we stopped to eat?" Kyungsoo said with cutely creased eyebrows. "My tummy is starting to growl at me." He looked down at his stomach and pressed his hand to it, causing Jongin to chuckle airily under his breath.

"Sure, but nothing expensive," Jongin said, inserting one leg in the car. "I don't have much money on me."

"Okay!" Kyungsoo cheered in excitement, the smile on his wide and elated. "Thank you, Jongin!"

"You're welcome," Jongin said in reply, taking a moment to observe the childlike expression on the younger's face. He started up the car and waited for it to warm up a little bit before pulling out of his parking spot. 

Kyungsoo was peering out of the rolled up window again, rubbing his hand against the fogged-up glass so he could see better. There was no denying how cute he was, but Jongin tried not to let himself get too caught up in anything he was feeling. He still didn't know what he was going to do with him yet, so he figured it was better to suppress his emotions as much as possible and spare them both the heartache. 

**********

"Was that seriously your first time trying ice cream?" Jongin asked Kyungsoo as they walked through his apartment door four hours later, Jongin letting Kyungsoo go in ahead of him. After dinner, Jongin somehow ended up being bribed into stopping for ice cream and then into going for an hour and a half long walk in the park. He didn't know how it happened, but Kyungsoo was just too cute to say no to.

"Yes, it was," Kyungsoo said, nodding his head affirmatively.

"How can that even be possible?" Jongin said, still feeling skeptical as he slipped his shoes and coat off. "Is it because you're half dog?"