Chapter Twenty-One

The party is in full swing. Lilly isn't the only kid because I'm good friends with my tattoo artist, who lives here in LA, is a family man with a set of twins the same age as Lilly. The three of them are playing in the yard while us grown ups chat and eat grilled food that Ronnie stepped up and made for us all. Ronnie's band is here too.

Jake finds me and pulls me away from a conversation about bands with Jacky. We walk into the house and I grab out a beer from the fridge. I've only had one tonight so far, so nothing to worry about. I boost myself on the counter and I look at him.

"What do you need?" I ask lightly.

"So Ronnie is now officially part of the picture?"

"Not living with me, not dating him." I glared at him. "Lilly knows that he is her dad. She is taking it well. He's going to be watching her occasionally and stopping by when he wants and when it is appropriate."

"Craig will be back in town soon." Jake said with a hinting smile.

"Yeah. I should date Craig, he's just so great at fucking--"

"No! No! No!" Jake covered his ears. "I don't want to hear that!"

"What did you think I was doing all the time on his tour bus?"

He fake gags and rolls his eyes. "Just, um, be safe?"

"We are not talking about this." I laughed and waved him off. "Go see if Lilly is happy."

He walked off and my cellphone rang in my pocket. I took it out and saw the called ID: Craig Mabbitt.

I smiled and clicked accept. "Hey there, handsome."

"Wow, someone is in a good mood." He chuckles.

"I have my kid and a new place, so I am in a very good mood."

"I'm glad to hear that. I'll be in LA tomorrow sometime. Do you want to meet up?"

"I may have a gig tomorrow, but you can come over for dinner or something?"

"That sounds great."

"Can't wait to see you."

"I miss you too." He says softly.

I smile to that. "See you tomorrow, Craig."

I hung up and Ronnie walked in. He is grinning ear to ear. I feel nostalgia for the few moments that him and I were truly happy. He leans on the counter and looks at me.

"Why such a big smile?" Ronnie asked me.

"Just happy." I shrugged and laughed. "Its just all settling."

"So what's going on tomorrow?"

"Work things."

"And for dinner?"

"I, um, actually have... Plans." I say carefully.

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

"So a date?" He asked, anger twinging at the surface.

"Yes." I said looking away. "Kind of, yeah."

"Oh."

An awkward pause hits the air.

"Do you mind if I come over and watch Lilly?"

"That sounds fair." I give him a charming smile which seems to settle things.

He gives me a quick hug, but it just gave me this feeling. A feeling of wanting him back, but can we make things work? With Craig everything is easy, but at the end of the day, Ronnie is Lilly's dad. My stomach flutters with a twinge of nervousness, but I shake my head. I have people over and I can't spend the entire time in the kitchen thinking about my love life.