Chapter Twenty-Three

I'm looking down at my phone as I'm waiting at the doctors office. My knee is nervously bouncing up and down. Ronnie is at home, watching Lilly. I'm considering calling Craig. He should know that I'm here. Just in case. I can't stop myself right now. I'm too out of wack. I find his contact and call him.

It takes forever, but he answers. "Hey, what's up? I was going to call you to see if Lilly and Leila could have a play date."

"I might be pregnant, in fact I think I'm pregnant." I say quickly. The doctor's office is busy, so no one is listening in on my conversations.

A very fucking long pause follows that. I hear a long sigh.

"Um, so... Wow." He finally says.

"I wanted to tell you. Ronnie knows, and he's going to take care of me, us, the baby, Lilly, and I."

"If there is any possibility that this kid is mine--"

"I doubt it, but, well, you never know." I sigh. "Fuck, Craig. Don't make this hard on me."

"I have a right to know if that is my kid!"

"I don't even know for sure if I'm pregnant." I'm pissed off now. "I wanted to let you know before I found out for sure."

My name is called by a overweight nurse that looks overworked.

"I'll call you later." I say before clicking end and walking up to her.

"You ready?" She asked, putting on a smile.

"Yes." I say, also faking a smile.

***

Lilly is playing with barbies in front of the TV, playing Care Bears. She doesn't hear me come in because she is too engrossed in the TV. I search for Ronnie, and find him out back. He's smoking a cigarette. I walk up, grab it from him, put it out with my shoe, and look at him.

"You quit." I pointed out.

"I may have a couple when I'm nervous." He rises from the chair. "So what's the news?"

"I called Craig before I went in and I told him." I said glancing away.

"He isn't getting involved in this." He stated.

"He doesn't have to." I grabbed his hand and placed it on my small baby bump. "Because I'm too far along for it to be his."

I called Craig and explained it to him. He had calmed down, and we talked it through. I explained to him how if he wanted a paternity test to prove it wasn't his, then I would agree. He brushed it off, congratulated me on my upcoming baby, and promised not to let the news spill.

Ronnie laughed, smiled widely, and ran his free hand through his hair. "Fuck." He said laughing. "Fuck." He said again, picking me up and spinning me around. "We are going to have a baby!" He set me down. "Again!"

I laughed and grabbed his hand. "Yeah. We are."

We laughed again. Happy as can be.