2

The empty void of blackness and the spray of water greets me. The wind of my motion sending my hair flying out around me. I'm falling to my death.

But not for long.

I spin round, my fingers just grazing the second bar on the railing. I continue to tumble. I manage to grab the edge of the metal bridge before it's too late. "Nice view." I mutter. The metal is cold and slippery. Wet droplets from the waterfall trickle down my face. One slip and I'm dead. Clambering back onto the bridge I grin at my darer.

"Nice jump Vic." He snorts.

"You never said I had to fall, just jump. I'd like to see you do better, Felix." I ignore him. My brother says that you should just ignore Felix. He says that Felix is a coward. I decide to use my brother's strategy here. I walk casually past him as if he isn't there, Felix is just a big pansycake.

I leave the chasm behind and head to the main part of the dauntless compound. The steep paths have no railings at all. You unfortunately can't jump over railings if there aren't any. I jump onto the path below me, landing with a soft thud on the stone floor. I pump my arms and break into a run. The air whistles past me, making it seem like I'm in the sky. I can run quite fast after sixteen years of practise. I feel powerful and swift, light as a feather, steady like a bird. I sprint through the maze of rocky ledges and serpentine paths, sometimes jumping onto the lower paths.

I find the tattoo shop in it's usual spot on the second level. At least, I think it's the second level. Unlike in the other faction sectors, we have no roads, streets or buildings. We all live together in one massive complex with no real organization. Everything is jumbled up and together. I would like it if things were put in a more practical place, or if there were actual areas or levels devoted to one thing. The tattoo shop is next to a family's room. The clothes store is next to the water fountain. The initiate training rooms are spread out across the compound. Nothing is in a logical place. All it does is make it easier to get lost around here. If I had designed this place, I would have made some real changes, to make things more sensible. But I guess dauntless aren't really the ones for logical, that's Erudite's job.

I open the door of the tattoo shop and walk inside. This is one of my favourite places in the city. My brother works here, he's the closest thing to the dauntless artist. He designs the tattoos and then inks them into people's skin. It's pretty cool. He doesn't draw all of the tattoos. There's another tattoo artist called Tori. Tori drew the tattoo of a fire on my father's cheek. There are several tattoos on display. I roam round the store until I find the tattoo design of a V. The V is surrounded by inked birds of different kinds. The design is inked on a sheet of clear paper that reminds me of glass. My brother designed this tattoo just for me. I have a copy of it drawn on my arm.

"Looking at that tattoo again?" Tori asks.

"Yeah, I guess. I think I'm drawn to it a bit too much. Any new designs?" I wonder aloud.

"Well, not yet, but your older brother's working on one now. We're trying to design a tattoo of each letter." Tori replies.

"Can I see him?" I inquire.

"Sure. I have customers to tend to, but you know where to find him right?" Tori questions.

"Yes," I answer, "Should I just go in?"

"Sure." Tori answers. Then she goes off to help another customer. I pass through some curtains into the back room. My brother Cal sits at a small wooden desk, sketching something on a piece of paper. It looks like a letter R surrounded with roses.

"Hey Vic! How's things?" Cal asks.

"Ok. Can I see?"

"Sure, just be careful," he replies.