Cal

I barely notice the pain until the gunshot sound finishes echoing through the room. Vic turns round, and I attempt a smile or a wave. But it isn't meant to be. Instead of speaking to her, reassuring her that I don't care, I hit the cold ground, hard. I feel something crack, my nose bent at an odd angle by my fall, but I hardly notice the blood. All I know now is pain. Pain searing through me, burying itself in my heart and soul, deadly and fiery. A bullet wound always looks so insignificant, unworthy of attention. It isn't the wound itself that kills you though. That's only an image, a scratch on your skin's tough surface. It's the metal object that created the small bleeding circle, the bullet that hits your heart is what makes you perish. The tiny prick of blood seems unworthy of the destructive power of the little silver cylinder that could penetrate your heart, soul, body and life in one critical blow, and a click of a trigger.

Whiteness surrounds me, stealing my mind from my body. I know that I will die, but not for at least a minute. Being shot in the chest is supposedly a painful yet fairly slow way to die compared with being shot in the head. If that had happened I would be dead by now. Pain engulfs me, a burning and twisting sensation like nothing I've ever felt. I wish it were over. I want to be dead.

At least I died bravely, protecting someone I cherished more than any other. I died for my sister's freedom. I'm dying for her and Felix. I can't pretend that I'm dauntless, I would be lying if I told anyone I were anything but amity. But for now, I can be dauntless, and know, deep inside the whiteness of my dying body, that my mother would be proud.

Images flit through the whiteness each one giving me courage to proceed. My mother, Vic, Tori, my tattoos and a perfect sunset of amity colors, orange, red and gold. My colors. My true self. Whatever comes next, I'll be me at last.

I've always wondered where death will take me, wither it would bring me to mother or not.  And I guess, I'm going to finally find out.