3

I head back to the dauntless compound after reading a book about wolves and wild dogs. The chill of the breeze has increased since the walk here. I run back towards the train tracks allowing the wind to become moister and chillier. The factionless man that I gave the cookie to is gone. I wonder where he went.

The climb up the tracks is more exhausting then going down. I navigate the sharp metal track supports carefully, not wanting to be cut. Normally, I'd be swifter when climbing but I have no reason to hurry. I have ample time to reach the pit and meet cal. I know that the dauntless wouldn't approve of my trips to the library. If I were to choose dauntless I wouldn't be able to read anymore. You can get away with it when you haven't chosen, but not so much afterwards. Could I manage a life without reading? I love to acquire knowledge, I love to learn, but without books I won't be able to do that. I have to choose wisely. I have to stick with my choice for the rest of my life. My life would certainly be longer if I didn't choose dauntless, with the old-age thing.

I know all too well, that when a dauntless member reaches a certain level of physical deterioration, that they are asked to leave. One way or another. Let's say that some people would prefer death to being factionless. I don't know what I'd choose then. I wouldn't want to leave. I suppose that's a selfish way to look at it. At least I'd have the choice. I wouldn't have to die if I didn't want to. Not at the time anyway. A factionless life would be painful, and terrible. Maybe death is better.

But, if I were to choose a different faction, I'd have to follow the rule, faction before blood. Would I be able to kill or injure my family for the greater benefit of my new faction? Would I be brave enough? It feels selfish to kill for your benefit. It feels worse to kill family. Would I fail an initation and have to become factionless? What if I'm not smart enough for erudite? There'd be no turning back. Vic, you're making this way too complex. The aptitude test will tell you what to choose, the aptitude test will place you where your most likely to succeed. The logical thing to do, would most definately be to listen to the aptitude test. Statistics have shown that almost ninety percent of all people follow the aptitude test when making their choice. Isn't that about the amount of people that end up content with their decision? Just follow the test, nothing will go wrong. What's the worst that can happen? It's not like you'll get more than one result. You don't even have to choose. You just have to trust the test.

I reach the track on top of the supports and clamber up. No sooner than when I'm up, I feel a rumble. The tracks shudder beneath me, warning me about the approaching train. I jump onto the track next to me just in time. The train's first car whizzes past me, just missing my forehead. Pain straps throughout my grazed knee, and a new pain ripples through my arm. I can inspect myself for injures later, first I need to catch this train. I spin round violently, almost falling under the high speed train. Careful Vic! I grab the handle of the compartment door and pull myself inside with a violent jerk. I skid across the clean floor of the compartment. No! I'm heading towards the edge! For one terrifying second my body hangs over the other side of the train. I hang over the empty air, gazing down at the eight story drop to the cold, hard pavement below. I pull myself up with caution, careful not to hurt myself more.

I sit up slowly, pressing my back to the wall. That was so close. I examine my knee. It's bleeding slightly but it looks ok. I turn my arm and look at it carefully. A long thin cut stretches over my elbow, but I reconize it as a clean cut. It should be ok too. A bit of blood Oozes from the scratch. I wonder what cut me. It had to be fairly sharp. The ride isn't too long. Soon I see the glittering shape of the glass hub in the fading light. I jump onto the roof of the building beneath the hub, and enter the compound the way I exited. I sneak back into the compound, unnoticed by the other dauntless. We're not supposed to leave the compound at this hour, but I doubt anyone really listens to the rules round here. I've seen others sneak out to go zip-lining off the top of the hundred and five story building near here. Of course, zip-lining is far more fun and brave than reading, but no one seems to have gone zip-lining today, so reading was probably a worthwhile activity.

I wonder why the other factions don't go zip-lining. I mean, sure it's kind of dangerous to go hurtling to the ground on a homemade zip line, especially from that height. But it's fun. The rush of air, the feeling of flight and freedom that it gives you and the view. The view. There's no better way to see the city than on the zip line. I admit, it's also super dangerous and some dauntless have been injured doing it, but no one's died because of it. Yet. Yeah, zip-lining is more of a dauntless thing now that I think about it. Dauntless have done literally everything dangerous. Then again, that's part of the fun. Conquering the fear of doing it, showing that you are brave. It's all fun.

I hear chatter in the pit. I follow the rush of the late diners. Who cares about being on time? We dauntless do what we like when we like. I spot my brother at one of the far tables. I sprint over and plonk down next to him. Cal smiles as I help myself to food. I watch Tori shove a large chicken wing into her mouth. Who cares about table manners? Not the dauntless. I have to be honest with myself though, I've always found some of our eating habits disgusting.

"So, where've you been?" Cal asks, his mouth full of burger.

"I-I umm..." I know he won't approve of my trips to the library, but I'm not going to lie. Lying is wrong. I wouldn't want to be lied to. "The library." I whisper.

Cal surprises me by smiling. "Brave of you to tell me. That's what makes you dauntless."

"I'm not sure. I may not choose dauntless, cal." I tell him.

"Choose what's best for you Vic. I'll visit you on visiting day each year, as long as your not amity. I can't stand them." He says laughing.

"You think I'd choose to be a pansycake like them!" I scoff, "they pass up on all the good stuff!"

"If that's really your opinion then you're dauntless. True dauntless could never be peaceful like amity." Cal informs me.

"If you say so." I say, stuffing a piece of hot dog into my mouth.

After we've eaten our fill, cal and I walk back to my room. Our father's waiting there.

"Hey." Cal mutters as he turns to leave. He doesn't live in our room anymore. He has his own place. I flop onto my bed.

"Get some sleep Vic." I mutter, "you have your aptitude test tommorrow."